Day At ThunderHill..

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
We took two cars to Thunder Hill raceway yesterday. The LeMons exxe, to do an initial shake out since it has been sitting in storage for a while.

No significant problems, just minor fixes on stuff that race cars always need. We are getting the LeMons X ready for another LeMons race in March, Sears Point Raceway in Sonoma.

lemonsxlolat9190sm.jpg

The LeMons exxe surprised the drive of a Mitsubishi EVO, could not get past it going into turn 1-2, once the EVO finally did pass (on power) it took the EVO more than 6 turns to put any distance between the exxe.. Drive came up to chat.. wondering what this thing was...

lemonsxthsm.jpg

The other car is a Lola T91/90, Sports 2000 car. First time it's been run in a while.

lolat9190frontsm.jpg

FORD, Modified Pinto engine powered...

lolat9190rearsm.jpg

lolat9190tailsm.jpg

Day went well overall, few problems and got info on with both cars need.

Our neighbor with a 1000 Bhp, 800+ lb/ft of Detroit iron powered road race car. We chatted about our cars and their test day notes.

mercruy1000bhpsm.jpg

We should have some videos of this track day soon.

Bernice

Looks like a pretty steep downhill

That second picture looks like a pretty steep downhill. That must give the driver an odd feeling in the gut every lap. :)

Thanks for the update Bernice and good luck in March.

Thunder Hill is a mix of many featured turns from various famous race tracks, that hill is mini version of the corkscrew at Laugna Seca. Been on both, it really does feel like falling off a cliff at speed. It's deceptive due to the lack of sight ahead of this turn.

As much as I like the exxe, the Lola draws more car passion from me..

It's fun and interesting to do work on both these cars in many ways, different yet in many ways, the same.

:thumbsup:
Bernice

That second picture looks like a pretty steep downhill. That must give the driver an odd feeling in the gut every lap. :)

Thanks for the update Bernice and good luck in March.

I was going to comment the same thing (that its a collection of the "features" of other notable tracks). I was thinking as I read the reply-post "if you like that downhill, you should see the corkscrew at Laguna..."

I will add the picture doesn't give that section justice as it looks somewhat tame, but it is a decent decline and can get harry (with the wrong crowd around you).

Thunder Hill is a mix of many featured turns from various famous race tracks, that hill is mini version of the corkscrew at Laugna Seca. Been on both, it really does feel like falling off a cliff at speed. It's deceptive due to the lack of sight ahead of this turn.

As much as I like the exxe, the Lola draws more car passion from me..

It's fun and interesting to do work on both these cars in many ways, different yet in many ways, the same.

:thumbsup:
Bernice

Awesome. EXXY is looking great, and seeing that S2 brought back fond memories of when I was turning wrenches on them :) thanks for the update... good luck at the March race!

I LOVE Thunderhill....

:cry:TEAR* My home is 15 minutes away, spent most of my teenage years driving/working on that track. If I ever get my X home on leave, I am driving back there.

"if you like that downhill, you should see the corkscrew at Laguna..."

The turn you see there is called "The Cyclone", and it's not that bad once you've been over it a few times. Leading up to it, it's pretty clear that it's a hard left at the top, so you slow down. GREAT place for passing, believe it or not.

Running "the bypass" configuration is waaaay more exciting, as that goes *around the hill* - the effect being an off-camber hillcrest - point it the right direction before you crest, or, well, that's that.

"Lost Hill" at Buttonwillow is pretty similar...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApaSPCJFPk4"]YouTube - 24 Hours of Lemons Buttonwillow 2009 Leader of the race rolls his car on the last lap.[/ame]

Back