dhta power valve?

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
someone in my area picked up an x... yay.. but hes having carburator issues

he seems to think its related to teh power valve
as i havent really played around with teh dhta series carb only datr and dcnf, i really dont know what this is used for, maybe mid throttle applications?

!

Power valves are just a way to provide a richer mixture for full throttle/low vacuum use (like passing).

What problem is you friend having?

We took the carb off today and cleaned it out. The jets seemed pretty clean, but we blew them out with compressed air and sprayed them with carb cleaner. It seemed to run well; we drove it around town for 20 minutes or so, and it didn't die at all. (Our shorter test drive when we bought it had it die a few times in similar driving, but we've since fixed a leaky connection at the fuel filter.) It still idles way too high, though; it usually idled at 2500-3000 rpms, except for a little while when it idled roughly at 1000 rpms.

We really think the engine has been worked over by somebody who knows less about working on cars than we do.

We noticed that the gasket on the choke bimetal spring housing was missing; the choke would rotate freely with vibration or force on the hoses. I cut a new gasket out of cork (it's just there for mechanical friction, not sealing). The choke hot water housing backing plate was also installed rotated wrong with only 2 of the 3 screws lined up.

Also, the 'power valve cover' and 'bowl vent valve rod' weren't connected properly. The bowl vent valve rod was just wedged against the bottom of the carb, not connected to anything, and the power valve cover was only held on by the vacuum hose that was in the center hole. When we disconnected the vacuum line, we lost the 'power valve cover' and 'bowl vent valve rod'.

We also had fuel being pumped out of the vacuum accelerator pump cover when we took off the carb. That concerns us, as that barb should have been connected to vacuum, so there shouldn't have been any fuel in there. However, after we disconnected all the hoses and were manually actuating the linkages, actuating the throttle caused that barb to spray fuel the first few times. When we opened it up, the chamber that should have been the vacuum side was wet with fuel, but the diaphragm didn't look horrible.

Considering that, I'm surprised it runs as well as it does.

Tomorrow, we're heading back down to take it for a test drive on the highways; when we bought it, it started having major issues within 15 miles, so we'll take it about twice that. If it handles that well, we'll drive it up to Minneapolis so we can keep it in my garage for easy access.

he probably needs a rebuild kit
im not as familar with the dhta as i havent had one completely apart yet

!

Yes, that carb seems pretty messed up. If it won't idle down, it's getting air and fuel from some place that it's not supposed to: multiple leaks. So there are several things wrong here, and a thorough rebuild and close examination for wear is the next step.

Make sure the butterfly shafts still fit tightly (no slop) and that the bottom flange is nice and flat.

Back