Did the bike shock dogbone replacement

Bobr

My Toy
Cost $3.29 plus 16.99 shipping...got it in 3 days...5.88 for washers and spacers. Tried to mount it in the center of the mounts and it hit the fuel rail so I moved it all the way to the left.
Took the Barn Find for a good run this morning....perfect day....70deg sunny ran the engine up to almost 8000......
It solved a clunk I was getting from the old dogbone and seemed to hold up fine. Its a cheap replacement for the old part. I will keep an eye on it and see how it holds up...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I did it, too. Hated it. I tried both the yellow and the black spring shocks; both transmitted way to much vibration for me and didn't really limit engine travel as well as the old dogbone. Got a new original dogbone from Chris O. instead. YMMV. Anyone who wants to buy my old bike shocks, shoot me a PM.

John O.

I keep waiting 'til no one is bidding on the .99¢ listing, not wanting to be bidding against another forum member :rolleyes: Mine isn't bad yet, but for future use.

That was probably me

I keep waiting 'til no one is bidding on the .99¢ listing, not wanting to be bidding against another forum member :rolleyes: Mine isn't bad yet, but for future use.

I bid on the .99¢ shock earlier today.

Update: Go ahead and bid on it Hussein. I just threw a low bid at it on a whim and I have already been outbid. I want to research this a bit before bid anymore for one of these shocks.

I personally won't ever bid on an item with outrageous shipping fees. Price the item correctly to start with, not screw over people who space out and overlook the shipping amount.

One bad review is enough to scare me away.

I did it, too. Hated it. I tried both the yellow and the black spring shocks; both transmitted way to much vibration for me and didn't really limit engine travel as well as the old dogbone. Got a new original dogbone from Chris O. instead. YMMV. Anyone who wants to buy my old bike shocks, shoot me a PM.

John O.

So, I guess I will definitely stay with the stock torque strut.

So, I guess I will definitely stay with the stock torque strut.

It looks cool, but ultimately it's a cheap mountain bike shock that doesn't even fit that well, doesn't limit travel both fore and aft just damps movement, and isn't designed for the frequency of vibrations generated by an engine. Cool idea and it was fun to try, but IMO OEM is better. Again, YMMV; some folks like it and I wouldn't take that away from anyone.

John O.

Well, this thread yeah, but as a rule on this forum, there are some, looks like you are included, that if they say something is or isn't, then it's gospel.

I have no gospel to offer, just my experiences for whatever they are worth. I will never state an absolute, these are just my opinions. What is the point in sharing my experiences and conclusions if they are of no value to anyone?

John O.

Dude, youre taking it all wrong. Say what you want about your experiance. Pete, based on your experiance, isnt goign to do it, He was, then read your experance, and now wont. :hrmph:

It wont hurt anything to try. No permanant harm to the car. Why not try it.

Maybe some of us have lists of things to do which are 15 years longer than our possible life expectancies. If someone I respect tells me not to waste my time on something, I promise there are twenty other tasks to take the place of that one I've set aside. You. Don't. Have. To. Respect. My. Opinion. That's all it is, an opinion. I may have different goals or interest for my cars than you. It's all good.:headbang:

John O.

Last edited:
jeff N

off topic i know, but what are the wheels on your x, size, offset, etc
they look great, suit the yellow car down to the ground
nice car!
cheers
pete

Thanks Pete. Unfortunately, the wheels were on the car when I got it and I've got no idea what they are, can't find anything on them. I have found that they are referred to as a "turbine" style wheel. If anyone has a set of Daytonas, I'd gladly swap straight across. :sun:

Back