Digital ECU Project

newer type of injectors with adapter?
Thanks Janis. That possibly would be a much better solution. Do you happen to have more details; what adapters are available to fit the Fiat SOHC fuel rail, what type injectors they fit, where to get them?

Probably should have listened to you a long time ago and got the Punto(?) fuel rail that uses the other type injectors. At the time I knew of higher flowing injectors that fit the stock X fuel rail and thought that was a better way to go. But back then I had not learned of the MS limitations for this. I might repeat this isn't an issue with some of the other newer ECU's on the market.

Last edited:
Have you looked at Nissan 280zx turbo and 300zx injectors?
I did look at them before. I'm fairly(?) certain these are low impedance type? If so they won't help with the MS high-impedance requirement. Hopefully I am remembering this incorrectly and they are high-impedance. Ideally it would be better to find appropriate injectors than using adapters/resistors/modifications.

Interesting, they seem to be unavailable everywhere I looked. Wonder if they are a very rare/low demand item not worth stocking, or very desirable/hi demand one that can't be kept in stock? I'll keep looking. But this is reminiscent of what I found when searching for a injector of this description before (a high impedance one of this design). That's why I eventually gave up on finding something that is a direct fit on the X's fuel rail with the needed capacity, to use with a MS ECU.
Maybe Steve H has another part number to try?
Thanks.

I got mine from Five 0 motorsports https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/fuel-injectors/ a number of years ago. They do not list them on their web page, but say to call them. Bosch lists them as still being in production/

Paul

I apologize for starting whatever this conversation is now about. I am not interested in buying
a digital ECU or any of its variants. I simply want to see what I can do and what I can learn.
It seems that if you've never designed anything of your own that concept is a difficult one to grasp.
I will now go away and see what I can accomplish. Thanks to those who understand what I am trying to do,
and thanks too to all the other x enthusiasts who took the time to join in. We will always have our passion for these
sometimes annoying little cars in common.
Bye!
/wally

Wally, please don't go away. I completely understand your want to design your own system. People always look at such things from their own perspective. Me? I have no desire to design and build a programmable ECU. I will select one that meets me needs. However, I have designed and built plenty of other stuff for my various cars because I wanted something that I couldn't buy and it was a great way to learn. I would enjoy following your project if you will continue to document it here.

I apologize for starting whatever this conversation is now about. I am not interested in buying
a digital ECU or any of its variants. I simply want to see what I can do and what I can learn.
It seems that if you've never designed anything of your own that concept is a difficult one to grasp.
I will now go away and see what I can accomplish. Thanks to those who understand what I am trying to do,
and thanks too to all the other x enthusiasts who took the time to join in. We will always have our passion for these
sometimes annoying little cars in common.
Bye!
/wally

Hi wally,

Many times on Xweb a thread will get off on a tangent. It isn't ideal, but it happens and sometimes it works out. In this case it did not.

If I were you I would start a new thread for your project and ask that anyone wanting to talk about another ignition system start their own thread.

I apologize as I may have played a part in this thread going off topic, was not my intention to stray from the main objective.

Wally, I do hope you keep us updated with your project, and if you do decide to create another thread I will be better about respecting the topic.
I do believe the take away from this is that many members are very interested in new/different ways of controlling our cars . This is where we would really appreciate a project such as yours.

Your desire to create something new is what inspired us to get into these discussions. Obviously our intent was not to derail your project. If we made you feel that way then please accept a blanket apology.
I am one of the guilty people here. In fact earlier I made the comment that I did not want to hijack the thread, but later I did exactly that (not intentionally). Just got wrapped up in all the great information offered.
Hopefully you can gain some input toward your plans from our comments and continue with it.

The sensor on top of the tube is definitely a air temp sensor...looks like a GM type. But the other item, on the side of the tube is a bit puzzling. Most set-ups use a MAP (air pressure) sensor to provide input, as Steve H said. However I've never known it to be mounted next to the air filter and they don't usually look like that one (but I'm sure there are all types). Usually they measure the vacuum/pressure in the intake manifold/plenum; typically
a small vacuum hose attaches to a nipple on the manifold and goes to the MAP sensor remotely mounted. From there a wired connection inputs data to the ECU. If that is the MAP sensor for this one, mounted on the tube by the air filter, it would seem to give a incorrect input.

Hi Jeff,

I'd agree. Even mounted in the correct position, a MAP sensor alone isn't going to give accurate results. A (hot wire) MAF sensor is really what is required (and pretty much what all modern cars use).

I had a project (temporarily abandoned) to allow a MAF sensor to be used with the standard L-Jetronic. The idea was to simulate the analog output that the standard (restrictive) AFM but use a MAF instead, alleviating that restriction. It involved mapping the curve of the AFM (with respect to input air flow) and then intercepting the MAF output to produce a similar output. Obviously, not as flexible as a MegaSquirt set-up but still more than sufficient for a standard car.

Cheers,
Dom.

Back