Do a motor swap for your daily X

You would also need the brain and a variety of other parts of the electrical system.

You would also need the brain and a variety of other parts of the electrical system.

You would also need a place to put that ECU and all those new Electrical parts. Not to mention big harnesses.
If your going to go to all that trouble may as well change everything.
Not much space in an X for that! lol

There was another thread here discussing the possibility of transplanting a modern fiat powerplant (from the 500) into an X. Sounded like there were several other electrical dependencies unrelated to the engine including body controllers, sensors, etc. which make this somewhat non-trivial.

You would also need a place to put that ECU and all those new Electrical parts. Not to mention big harnesses.
If your going to go to all that trouble may as well change everything.
Not much space in an X for that! lol

2 things - if you can make a k20 fit, I couldn't imagine the multi air 1.4 would be any harder drivetrain wise. And the non turbo engine would be a lot of work for not much of a return HP wise. The Turbo would be a little better if you can add "sport" mode :)

Interesting challenge

There should be a very good supply out there. Do you have any idea what the new engine/trans weighs compared to the original?

No clue on weights..

Just thought it was interesting that a new (used) fiat motor/trans combo was going so cheap. Would be a neat way to update the drivetrain while keeping it all fiat. There's always a work around for BCM electronics, the emissions system would be the difficult work around on this transplant in order to keep the pesky check engine lite out.
My 2nd X will be an engine swap - more custom work than stock. Haven't decided which way I'm going yet but leaning towards the dodge SRT-4 swap. It will be a long project (<5 years hopefully) but my end goal is to bring out a "modern" version of an X.

OR... You can install this into...

the REAR END of a 500 and have a real AWD Rocket!

HA!

(Don't laugh... its been done! Both alone and with two engines on some other cars as well!)

Very interesting

The swap COULD be very interesting if the weight is considereably higher on the new powertrain. You might find that the car wants to swap ends - more often - with the swap.

Back