Do I need a new Fuel Pump?

Bobr

My Toy
Went out to the garage this morning and could smell gas. I opened the engine cover and reached down to the fuel pump and got gas on my hand. Got the light out and this is what I found.:hmm:
I didn't smell gas yesterday when I drove it and filled up with gas. The engine was not running quite right and I could not figure out what was going on. The hose and clamp are new from last fall and are dry.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm still a noob but FWIW;
Is it humming louder than normal? I can't even hear mine anymore since I got the fuel system cleaned up, before that it would get louder and louder as stuff plugged up with junk. You could detach the fuel line that comes off the pump (at the point in the bay were it attaches to the next line) aim into a suitable container, turn on the key, reach into the AFM to move the flap open a bit (to trigger the pump) and see what it does, it should shoot gas like a cannon.

I suspect the line/clamp at the pump's exit point need a tweak.

Well that may not be the problem.

Depending where the car is from and if it was driven in the winter, the salt corodes the aluminum casting on the top of the pump.

I have rebuilt these pumps but have found spares ( new ) on ebay for less than $100.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Check and replace the hoses& clamps if needed. If the hoses are orginal, definitely replace them regardless of how they look. A hose or connection failure means fuel spraying into the engine compartment at over 30 psi and no less than 50 liters/minute.

Bernice

Replace the pump, yours looks like it's leaking at the top body o-ring.

Back