do you really use drivers club?

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
Insurance is due, and there's that 50 extra drivers club fee...I mean I like the magazine in my bathroom, but I have AAA...does their tow service even cater to idiots that lower their vehicle? Lol

It seems to be a part of the product. I went into "Manage your policy" and there doesn't appear to be a way to deselect the club. I will poke around some more tomorrow.

I think you can request it be removed, but I (think) it also includes insurance on your tools with the $0 deductible also.

I have used it once for a tow. The tow company screwed me over so I made a complaint with Hagerty. I do like the magazine.

I have used the program to buy event tickets at a reduced price. Not sure if that is the driver’s club or just part of the insurance coverage.
I enjoy the magazine even though most of it shows on line at some point.
AAA towing is for a longer distance with the plus package. I have used it a few times to move cars to service shops from my house.

The magazine is kinda nice, but I have AAA, so I don't use their towing. $40 is a considerable magazine subscription fee...

I've priced Hagarty, Grundy, and Chubb and found that Chubb is significantly less expensive. I do appreciate all that Hagerty does for the old car scene. Chubb has been very easy to work with although the only claim I have made is to have a rock chip repaired in the Alfetta windshield.

Rough annual cost is $500 for four cars totaling about $45K in value.

Following on Mark's comments (post #9). I've been dealing with various "collector car insurance" agreed value policies off and on for decades. And I've noticed the whole market has changed a lot. They all used to be very competitive with one another and offered very similar coverages, terms, and rates. Not true any more. Several of them have gone from being independent insurers to joining up with the major underwriters. Those are the same underwriters that offer traditional insurance policies, and run their business strictly for profit without any real care for the vintage car world. In other words, they've become A-holes to deal with, got much more expensive (relatively speaking), have limited policies, etc. While I'm sure much of this has become necessary with the significant growth in the vintage car market, rising operating costs, changing social values (read as "fraudulent claims"), and other issues, it has brought about real differences between the companies. Fortunately there are still a few independently owned/operated companies that really care for and support the vintage car market. And they still offer a great value in insuring old cars. But many of the others no longer do....they are NOT all the same anymore. My point is to do some serious shopping before you pick a insurer to cover your car, you will be glad if the time ever comes that you need it.

Agree with the above. I believe my standard AllState office offers "classic insurance" but not stated value and relatively new.

Also be aware of the limitations on use. I tour with my cars and occasionally autocross. Lowest price is not the most important, but premiums should be nowhere near standard auto policies. Especially for the junk I drive. :)

Hagerty is now part of Allstate. I was talking with my Allstate agent the other day and told her I would be moving my old bike over to Hagerty because they are better insurance for classic cars/bikes. She agreed that they were better then said we own them now. Well there you go.
i still really like Hagerty.

I have no idea how far AAA will tow a car, however Hagerty tows n/c for 100 miles. One service Hagerty offers, and I do not know if it is part of Driver's Club, is that for a nominal fixed amount annually you will be "given" your car if it is totaled, if I recall it is $50 or $75 a year.

I have been with Hagerty 15 years and they have provided excellent service....

Some kids in a Subaru ran into my 850 Sport Coupe and it needed a new bumper as well as bodywork. I found a NOS bumper in Egypt, Hagerty was happy to reimburse me directly including airfreight. Someone broke the power exterior mirror on my 308, found an NOS part in Germany for $2,800 which I thought was a bit exorbitant, no problem. A piece of concrete fell off a truck and onto my 124 Coupe, a quarter panel was fabricated, no problem. The gentleman who does most of my body and paint work tells me Hagerty is excellent to work with.

Even more amazing is that they continue to insure me!

I have friends / clients with Chubb who say great things about Chubb.

Another plus with Hagerty is they look at the number of years you've been with them and offer repairs to cars damaged in an earthquake - they might offer this for other natural disaster. I think as of January, they'll pay something like $35,000 to get my cars fixed.

Ok, nice to hear some of the features...but for you tightwads, ahem, myself included, so I just paid my bill, no way to exclude...But after I paid my bill there was this statement
"You will receive 2 seperate bills, 1 for insurance, I for Hagerty's drivers club...You can cancel drivers club at any time"
The why f****ng not make it an option when buying my insurance?
I don't really like being done this way, is it just me? Lol...I think that's some consumer abuse kinda stuff right there. I dunno, I'll be honest, I'm not like many here that have a bunch of cars and a lot of money, but this almost seems like Hagerty's knows it's catering to a bunch of rich guys and taking complete advantage, almost like scamming...oh well
almost makes me wanna cancel my whole freaking policy and find something else...I mean the insurance itself is a great deal, but.....

The gentleman who does most of my body and paint work tells me Hagerty is excellent to work with.

If a Auto Body guy like an insurance company, they must be good.

This is all great news as I am about to move all my vintage stuff over to Hagerty. However, one thing I wish we could find is a yearly or every two years new windshield service! I drive into the sun every morning and evening and every little chip is like a sharp pain to my senses. Just after I install a new windshield I am so happy. Then the first chip shows up, then I notice a general peppering of tiny chips, then there is always, I mean ALWAYS, one that lands right in the driver's line of sight. After a while I can't stand it anymore and get a new windshield. Wouldn't it be nice to know that you were up for a new windshield every two years? Yes, I have a problem about windshields that I could explain, but there it is.

This is all great news as I am about to move all my vintage stuff over to Hagerty. However, one thing I wish we could find is a yearly or every two years new windshield service! I drive into the sun every morning and evening and every little chip is like a sharp pain to my senses. Just after I install a new windshield I am so happy. Then the first chip shows up, then I notice a general peppering of tiny chips, then there is always, I mean ALWAYS, one that lands right in the driver's line of sight. After a while I can't stand it anymore and get a new windshield. Wouldn't it be nice to know that you were up for a new windshield every two years? Yes, I have a problem about windshields that I could explain, but there it is.
One possible solution is to protect a new windshield before it gets any chips. There is a clear film product specifically made to go over the outside surface of windshields and provide protection from chips, scratches, sand blasting, etc. If the film gets damaged or too dirty it can be removed and a new sheet put on. Obviously that's easier and MUCH less costly than replacing the windshield.

Jeff - would a tint shop do the clear film, or DIY? I've used thick material products to protect fog lights, but have not heard of a protective film for windshields (I live under a rock)

I have a new windshield for the Milano, but am still running the 5 year old cracked one becasue I don't want to degrade the new (I'm not quite right). In Nebraska rock chips of noticable significance are an annual occurance.

Back