Does anyone have or know of a Coil over design for 850s? The front

jjay911

True Classic
I want to redo my 850 with front coil overs. I know there used to be a guy that lived in Diamond bar that sold a kit on ebay I just dont have his info any more. Just curious if anyone here has this or explored it.

My 850 seems mostly stock in the front but it bottoms out really easily and has a lot of bump steer.

Any advice or discussion is welcome. Thanks....:)

Coil overs won't fix any of those things.

There are many things one can do with an 850, re-aching the springs, reversing the spring eye on the spring, using a lowering block for the mount of the spring to the body, weld a new lower mount onto the kingpin upright to attach the spring eye to, replace the leaf spring assembly with a new lower a arm with mounting and with this adding coil overs.

The things you are mentioning are all resolvable with appropriate alignment and suspension set up, a spacer on the steering arm might be used to correct for bump steer, one could also look into changing to a rack and pinion steering set up even.

To go to coil overs one would want to reinforce the upper shock mounts and one should likely think about the upper A arms as well. One might also think of changing the steering knuckle to a 124 type so you could use ball joints rather than the king pins in the current knuckles. The possibilities are endless :)

I would look at re arching the spring, replacing the shocks, replacing all rubber parts and all steering parts which would include rebuilding the idler with new bushings.

I like where your head is at on this.. Sounds like just lots of deferred maintenance :mallet:

As it happens my 850 Sport Coupe displays all of the symptoms you describe, which given it is 45 years old and still has all of its original parts up there, deferred maintenance is definitely on my list of spring to dos...:mallet:

Oh and I neglected to mention redoing the kingpin bushes which on mine are notably worn.

i guess since my car has a mere 64000 miles on it and the shocks say Bilstein for Fiat 850 spider on the sticker I imagine a lot could be original.

My car is the Rotary powered monster so I already have Rear Coil overs with an X 1/9 a Frame design..

So I thought a natural progression would be to continue that them up front and If I could remove the heavy leaf springs even better but it may be above my pay grade and :wacko:skill set....

Doing the work is pretty simple, dailing the mess in is the challenge to get it all working right.

Everything is pretty much a bolt in up there so it shouldn't be beyond your abilities.

850 coil overs

I have coil overs front and rear in my national champion SCCA Solo II 850 Spyder. If you still have an interest email (craigsfiat*gmail.com) directly with your phone so I can ask some questions and discuss this conversion.
Craig

fiat 850 coil overs

I have coil overs front and rear in my national champion SCCA Solo II 850 spyder. If still interested email me directly (craigsfiat*gmail.com) with your phone # so we can discuss.
Craig

Back