Dogbone length

Robert Mose

True Classic
Does anyone know the proper dogbone length for a 79 1500cc Carbed X. ?
I suspect mine is too short at 132mm center to center.
My shift link is not lining up properly.

Robert... here...

Mine measures 5 13/16 of an inch center to center bolt that equates to about 147.6mm!

As for your shift linkage... the difference we speak of is about 3/4 of an inch I woul imagine... and could indeed impact the linkage.

It should connect though, just might be hard finding a few gears.

Thanks Tony

That would do it. I unbolted mine and positioned it at 6" and that solved it. Now to find a dogbone at a reasonable price.

The foto you wanted...

Tools.jpg

These are the "tools" I use to change out a trans.

1. A 2 to 1 pully system and a BIKE HOOK to a rafter in the garage. The trans weighs about 91 pounds so installing a hook somewhere centered over the trans and HANGING from it will give ya a good idea if it will support the weight. I sometimes use 2 hooks and a rope sling between them to make a "gantry" of sorts and it gives me some side to side flexibility.

2. A CLUTCH PILOT TOOL, mine from Pep Boys, #14540 for Bertone/Fiat 3/4" x 17 splines made by Motormie Mfg. Colmar PA from TAIWAN. I understand Matt was selling them for a couple of bucks, mine cost $5.00.

3. A 3 inch long STUD made from a 12 x 1.25mm bolt with the head gorund ROUND and a SLOT cut into the end. (The slot allows a screwdriver to unscrew it from the engine when complete.) I install this stud in teh "2 o'clock" position of the bellhousing...

Then start installing the trans by locating the 4 o'clock STOCK stud, then this stud at 2 o'clock into the trans... and the INPUT SHAFT should line up perfectly.

Let me know if you need further details...

Well...

I have a used LONG one that could be cut down and welded in operable condition... or if you don't mind VIBRATION, an adjustable turnbuckle will work... and Mr. Mike Sotor in NH used a bike or motorbike shock that looked pretty cool.

Some alternative ideas...

Definiteoy sounds like you have a 1300 dogbone Robert

I went out and took this pic of the NOS 1300 dogbone I have.

IM002580.jpg

I read on the Midwest site

That the 1300 Mount is shorter than the 1500. So maybe the one you have is from a 1300? I dunno. I couldn't find a replacement for my 1500 mount so I ground off the edges and pushed in new bushings.

mntd.jpg

EDIT:
Here's the missing picture of how it looks on the car. Alas, the paint chipped a little on the bracket when I tightened it but I like how it came out overall.

mtj.jpg

Last edited:
Custom dog bone mounts coming...

I am working on a prototype of an adjustable dogbone mount. I should have it back by early next week. It will be made of aluminum and have threaded ends to work with either 1300 or 1500.

Price may be around the $75 mark. It will definitely add bling. Let me know who could be interested.

Regards,

Arman

I am working on a prototype of an adjustable dogbone mount. I should have it back by early next week. It will be made of aluminum and have threaded ends to work with either 1300 or 1500.

Price may be around the $75 mark. It will definitely add bling. Let me know who could be interested.

Regards,

Arman

I did a run of the fully adjustable mounts years ago. Far from bling, but got the job done http://www.fiatplus.com/adjustable-upper-engine-mount-pr-287499.html.
Your price will be good, and I would be interested if only to add a picture & price to my web page.

I replace these every couple of decades.

And it's been a couple of decades so I am in the market. I just keep putting it off because, although I am not cheap, they just seem awfully expensive for two bushings on a length of rod. Gosh, it seems like you should be able to replace the bushings.

Looks great!

What did you use for the replacement bushings? Part numbers or any other information would be appreciated!

JHH

Well

What did you use for the replacement bushings? Part numbers or any other information would be appreciated!

JHH

I wrote up a little tutorial on the fiat forum before I joined on here. It is the first tutorial I have ever written and I did it with whatever I had available around but it may help!

Here's the link: Clickey!

Back