Door locks - locate & replace

82OrangeX

Holly
I don't see replacement door locks in parts catalogs. Any advice on what to do if you don't have keys & need to replace door locks? Is it possible to have a key made? How easy is it to get the door locks out of the door?
Thanks!
Holly

It's a job...

You'll have to remove the door handle mechanism completely, which means removing the
door card (inside) then removing the 3 screws that hold it in place. (inside the door)
Afterward, remove the pawl assembly (on the backside) using a small punch. (held in by an expansion pin)
Then with a larger punch, remove the pin that holds the hey housing in place.
As memory serves, the "key" lock asssembly is held in place with an expansion clip. (like an "E" clip, but a thin wire)

Like I said, it's a job...

You might want to consider buying another complete set of door handles from Midwest Bayless.
It'll save lots of time and hassle.

Stamped on the cylinder????

Didn't I read in a thread once that the key code is stamped in the cylinder? I know that the key codes for the ignition are stamped on the body of the lock assembly for Spiders...

Also, would it be better to take a lock cylinder to a locksmith where he/she could pull out the pins and figure out the code from the pin sizes? Again, I have done that for Spiders. In fact, I have one in my office from a long ago sold car.

I am wondering if it would be easiest to pull out the glovebox lock and start there.

Arman

I don't see replacement door locks in parts catalogs. Any advice on what to do if you don't have keys & need to replace door locks? Is it possible to have a key made? How easy is it to get the door locks out of the door?
Thanks!
Holly

The lock cylinders can be had seperately. If you want I could check Thursday when I am next in the warehouse to see if we have any, or if you are in a rush I could call Rob.
I do try to stock the entire door handle assembly, an expensive alternative.
Any good locksmith can make new keys, but you have to remove the handle from the car UNLESS the locksmith of choice says to just bring him the car.
Be aware that door locks use a different key from the ignition...

Same Issue

I had door locks with no keys. A few of the members that was parting out the cars that can provide you the key and the whole door lock assembly which was easier to switch (also provided the one for the rear trunk)

Back