DOOR MOLDING...

Black-Tooth

Tony Natoli
or weatherstrip seal...

Just got this yesterday and installed it today... I'm very happy with the results.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/a-5/8andqu...dow-8/p3039068.jcwx?skuId=163412&&filterid=u0

Note... One 25 foot roll. You start at one end of the windshield and wrap it around and down and up and over the targa and up the other side in one continuous loop.

I don't use the "corner moldings" but they can be had from Ricardo Borja on this site if you want. I hardly ever run with the top on but this seals pretty darn good regardless.

This molding is smaller than the old Universal Trunk Molding that Whitney used to sell. I couldn't find it and found this instead... but it works much better. I had about 3 feet left over when done. Price plus tax and shipping was around $60.00.

Matt Brannon sells what looks to be about the same thing for ONE door for about the same money for this roll that does both...

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/stor...Detail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=250926943

I'm not sure how close to original it is or what the differences are... He does have an original piece as well for one door for about 90 bucks...

Anyway... those are the choices I know of... and like I said, I'm very happy with the fit and appearance this seal provides. The doors also close easier as compared to the older, fatter, seal as well.

We're supposed ta be enjoying our X's...

So I will be using the 80-2 A/C unit my X1/9...

See ya manana...

(The Vette is "in my shop" getting modified and is currently not streetable. What I thought would take three days will probably take three weeks now... HA!)

Tony,

After seeing Blacktooth the other day and the way the molding came out, I decided to get me a roll. Just finished ordering on J.C. Whitney.

Mike

Thanks!

Tony -- thanks for the recommendation. I'm due to update mine as well and will follow your lead...

I'm sure you will be pleased!

After you pull the old molding off... just be sure the vinyl and carpet is "glued" down over the "pinch-weld" as you push on the molding.

Any pressure will do, or any hammer, but I used a rubber hammer to gently force it in place.

Also... DO NOT STRETCH the molding... in fact TRY to force more in place so that it will allow for any shrinkage with age.

My last molding was STILL GOOD (relatively) after about 12 years of sun... but had started to crack a little in the door jams and I was just really tired of it. This smaller molding just fits better, looks almost original and interferes less with the door jams.

Have fun!

My molding arrived from J.C. Whitney today

and I got it installed. Even for a 2X All Thumbs Award winner like me, it wasn't too bad, just hot in the garage and I was sweating like a hog.

Tony, thanks for the link to J.C. Whitney. The new molding has a nice clean look and is a great improvement over the old, ratty molding I had further down my list of projects. It turned out ok at the angle on the left side at the roll bar, but I need to do a little touch up on the right side. Before and after pix below if I can get the links correct.
Mike

P1060265_zpsb4ff9683.jpg

P1060266_zpsa6827e19.jpg

P1060268_zpsffa1c493.jpg

P1060269_zps8caf0b87.jpg

P1060270_zpsaaf84131.jpg

Last edited:
Yur welcome and...

Great work... glad it worked out well for you too.

I think its time you should also post some before and after fotos of the entire car... it sure has come a long ways.

I implore you now though... the next COSMETIC fix is to get that tailpipe positioned correctly and clean it up with either a 2" or larger exhaust tip... max of 3 1/2"... (and you have a 1 3/4" OD pipe).

I think a few bucks spent at a local muffler shop might be the easiest on all of us... but I'll give it a try on my lift if ya want... Let me know.

Tony,

Actually, I just recently talked with my muffler shop about a low pressure drop muffler and CAT. When I do decide to do that, they said they can also change the way the exhaust is supported to get away from the springs.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pix of the old Bird when I first bought him with the original oxidized/chalky silver with black paint. Maybe I can put something together with the temporary rattle can/DIY paint job, old wheels, ratty seats (one was split, cracked black leather and the other dirty white leather.......go figure) and dashboard with cracks and large damaged areas beneath the glove compartment. I'll see what I can do.

BTW, I hope you had that CC yesterday to help me celebrate.

Mike

Good Find

Been meaning to do this so I guess now is the time. Do not forget to search for promo codes and get free shipping.

Well for you people that are too lazy to search....FRSH39

:excited:

Back