Driving in the snow.

eflexter

Eddie Flexter
I couldn't wait to find a reason to go for a drive in this snow storm. I just HAD to return the DVD back to the Redbox before it was overdue. So I hopped in the X and headed out in the 6 inches of fresh snow to return it.

I backed out of the garage into an unplowed mess of a driveway and headed off. At the McDonoalds parking lot, (unplowed and slushy nasty), I slid up next to the RedBox, only to find it was full. TOO BAD! I pulled away in a flash to the amazed look of a guy in an all-wheel-drive Honda. I totally drifted sideways all the way around the Micky D's parking lot and headed back to the highway to find another Redbox.

I flashed past lots of timid drivers on the slippery 4 lane highway with no problem at all. 10 miles later, I returned the DVD, and decided to take the curvy back roads home. Drifting and tapping the brakes to steer around one of those dingy round-about things was completely fun.

And the heater blew nice warm air as I merrily drove along. I finally got back home where I was faced with my 1/4 mile long uphill driveway at a right angle to the road so I couldn't get a run at it. NO problem at all.

As I've said before, why did they stop making this car????

What fun!

I need to drive a bit to find snow :(

Curious what tires you have on the car? Are they simple winter tires or something more snow-ready?

-Tim

!

Nothing special at all. Just purely stock all-season cheap tires. The skinny tires (stock) work better than the wide sport tires though. It's an absolute fact.

Wide tires look really cool, but in bad weather, you need to exert as much pressure (gravity) on the tire's contact patch as possible. A wider tire spreads the car's weight over a larger area, so they actually float on the snow, no traction unless you touch the ground.

Narrow tires cut through the rain, snow or mud and penetrate down to the solid pavement for best traction.

I've been driving mine all winter but it's home today as it is one thing to take it for fun in but quite another to commute in it, with all the nutso's out there, needing to get to work and home and white knuckle gramma driving to survive isn't much fun. I will take it out when I get home though, just for fun!

I used to have a blast taking my '87 up to the twisty roads in the Czech Republic after a good snow. Whipping around a hairpin corner and coming out sideways, drifting UPHILL only to have to pull a 180 to get through the next corner, all on snow and ice. :headbang: MAN that was fun! :headbang: The great thing is that the roads up there were always empty. Now I live in "the middle of nowhere" USA and there's ALWAYS traffic, no matter what the weather is doing... :mad:

Took mine to drop my son off at church, did some drifting through the parking lot, yes it was very cool. Looking forward to more of that, just when I want to and controlled, not looking forward to it unexpectedly in traffic.

Back