driving under semis

mellor_21

True Classic
Would you do it, would you do it with a free car just for doing it (no danger to your x), have you seen it and have you noticed having the opportunity?
I'm not thinking of doing it (anytime soon, at least) but wanted to see what you guys think and if you have any good stories.

You mean like this?

Who remembers Hardcastle & McCormick? :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIMAfwJSfKw&feature=PlayList&p=055B4C53ECB910DD&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=49"]YouTube- Hardcastle & McCormick Intro[/ame]

They put that poor kitcar through everything.

That said, hell no I would not try it. At least, not without the consent and knowledge of the semi driver. Also with at least 2 inches static clearance, to make sure the clearances don't change at speed (car lifts and/or semi squats).

Pete

cuz it doesn't involve driving an x..?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY9tHsy6Uy0"]YouTube- The Fast 2 Furious[/ame] check out 1:33
we all know it's extremely dangerous, there's no doubt about that.
but let's try to keep all the "that's stupid, you're going to die" bla bla bla out of this thread please. I know for a fact I'm not the only one who's thought of this.

Not so much bragging rights as the rush you get from doing something absolutely retarded. Kind of like bungie jumping lol
Thanks for the input

Just go to the Truck stop and drive under one the other way....:) You know with them stopped.. I have a feeling it will be hard to find a trailer tall enough to drive under.

To many variables to do it in the real world.

Most Semi's actually do not have the clearance for any car to safely pass under it. The Semi's in The Fast and the Furious, as well as Hardcastle and McCormick both were jacked up, under controlled situations. In the real world, the only trailer you might be able to get under is a log truck. That being said, there is a reason why those Semis were jacked and it was done in a controlled environment (with stuntmen). Roads are not perfect usually. Even if they are, there are still slight rises and dips, bumps, etc that will make cars and trucks do different things. If you were able to squeeze your X under a Semi while moving, you would have very little clearance to start with. Then if the Semi hits a slight bump, and is carrying a load, the front of the trailer might start to come down a little due to the trucks suspension, then as you hit the bump you start to go up just as the back of the trailer starts to go down. It would be a mess.

Now, would I do it in a controlled situation? Maybe. I would want no one else on the road, constant radio contact with the truck, a plan that if he bails he goes one way, I do the other, and I would want my X slammed as low to the ground and his truck jacked as high as safely possible. And then maybe at 10 miles per hour.

Mellor, even if someone else has been thinking about this, its still lame. You cant ask a question like this and then say these answers are not acceptable. Honestly I would only think a child, or someone that was intoxicated would try this. And Ive done many a stupid thing in my cars, but this has never crossed my mind.
Heres one dumb thing I did.
img016.jpg

I've done it...

to a parked semi trailer.

Actually the story goes like this:

I was in the Army bombing around the loading docks on a Sunday with the turd X. I slowly crept up and under a trailer (no semi attached) and passed thru the other side. I went back to the barracks and and told a buddy the story and he wanted to check it out. This time, I decided to do the stunt under speed. Well, either the car rose a tad or the trailer was loaded, as I passed the windshield hit ever so lightly tearing the rubber seal for the targa top!

to a parked semi trailer.

Actually the story goes like this:

I was in the Army bombing around the loading docks on a Sunday with the turd X. I slowly crept up and under a trailer (no semi attached) and passed thru the other side. I went back to the barracks and and told a buddy the story and he wanted to check it out. This time, I decided to do the stunt under speed. Well, either the car rose a tad or the trailer was loaded, as I passed the windshield hit ever so lightly tearing the rubber seal for the targa top!

With out Video... It never happened..LOL...:hmm2:

+1 if it was a controlled environment. On the road it's a lot more than just your life at stake, there are people on most roads some with kids in the car and even if its an empty country road the semi truck driver could be killed if things went awry. I can't imagine how it would feel to put someone in the hospital or even kill them for "bragging rights" try telling that to the cops, or if you die too to those pesky angels at the pearly gates.

Not so much bragging rights as the rush you get from doing something absolutely retarded. Kind of like bungie jumping lol
Thanks for the input

I think Forrest Gump called that "Stupid is as stupid does." Trust me, once you've loaded a few people off the road into body bags, that kind of stuff pretty quickly loses any appeal.

Sounds like a thread posted...

...by a bunch of 16 year olds. I don't see the glory of the whole exercise. If you even drive next to a semi, you will notice that the windshield would hit, unless your car is lowered.

Thats what I am saying.

When you see it done in the movies, every safety precaution is taken, both the vehicle and the truck are modified. Nothing is left out to ensure the safety of everyone involved. I have a friend in LA who is a camera operator for TV and movies. He is a car nut (newer euro cars, has a Audi RS4) and throws camera rigs on his car all the time for practice shooting. He and I were talking about the original Fast and the Furious, where the Hondas zip under the semis at the beginning. Not only is the semi trailer modified for more clearance (something like a 12" lift), the specific Honda that zips under the semi is slammed to the ground and the roof is chopped a couple inches. Windshield was replaces along with all other glass to lexan, heavy duty roll cage installed, and filmed at night to try to hide some of the modifications. The car that is filmed in most of that scene is not the same car that is slipped under the truck, and they were moving at about 25-30 mph when the car slipped under. The wonder of post production and editing makes it look like a normal honda (ok, a tricked out honda) could do it easily. And your right, this is something my 18 year old nephew would want to do, but he would want to Ken Block drift under the semi trailer going backwards.

I've thought about it..... and if I found a PARKED semi i'd try it. My X with 20" slicks is about 41" at the vary top of the windshield. and It's been dropped quite a bit.

Back