"DRL's"

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
Daytime Running Lights (DRL). I'm adding them to my current X1/9 project build. It is a custom installation so I can configure them anyway I want. One decision has to do with their color.

Most newer cars utilize LED lighting, especially for things like DRLs. Often they are arranged in a unique pattern/shape to accent the body lines. I've noticed some of those cars have "white" front DRL's while others have "yellow" ones. When DRLs first came into being they were mostly dimmed headlights. Therefore they were white and served no other function than as running lights. However the newer cars usually use separate lights (not the headlights) as the DRLs, and they serve multiple functions...such as have them flash for the turn indicators in addition to running lights (continuous illumination). That raises a question. In Calif the vehicle codes require front turn signals to be yellow, and front headlights to be white. So how are the cars with white dual function DRL/turn indicators legal? Or have the codes changed?

I also see some cars have neat LEDs that are white for the DRL function, then swap to yellow for the turn indicator function as they flash. That would be perfectly legal and a safer approach by making the two functions more distinct. Plus it's a cool touch. It's the solid color (white) ones that I question.

I also thought about that. It seems like Volvo even took it one step further on their latest models. The front indicators are integrated in the main headlights, using a single LED bulb. When indicators are on, the headlights are flashing with yellow light, not pulsing between white and yellow light.

Ya I've seen some really neat LED arrangements on a few newer factory cars. I would like to make up something custom that has cool features like that. But I already have a list of mods too long to ever finish as it is. :rolleyes:

How would you do it? Would the headlights be up during daytime driving or are you thinking of lights on the front end?

How would you do it? Would the headlights be up during daytime driving or are you thinking of lights on the front end?
For the X (or any vehicle with "pop-up" headlights) I would not utilize the headlights for DRLs. That's why I said I'd build something completely custom, incorporating the additional DRL LEDs into the bodywork or behind the grill. For my VWs with fixed headlights in the grill I've added small LEDs into the headlight itself (H4 lights).

On my current X project I've eliminated all stock external lighting except the headlights (actually they will not remain stock either). The taillights are custom items I've built and mounted in a completely redesigned rear panel. All of the side lights have been eliminated completely for a shaved look. And the front turn and marker lights are combined into a small LED that mounts behind the grill. So everything has been reduced to a minimalist style, to hide or completely remove as much of the lighting as possible.

My prior comment about making a unique DRL design with LEDs was referring to a more elaborate array that offers a styling cue more like some of the modern cars have.

Thats the way we did it here in Sweden, separate lights under the bumper.
I did that on the front of one of my VWs. I added a set of vintage (to match the age of the car) fog lights under the front valance. They have yellow lenses and I installed yellow LEDs in them. They are wired into the main harness to function as the running and turn signal lights.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but personally, I have yet to see a vintage car fitted with modern LED DRL's that looks pleasing to me. I quite like the LED running lights on modern cars (when they're a continuous strip and not visible individual LEDs), but most implementations I have seen on older cars just don't suite the body style very well. Vintage fog lights or running lights though, often looks quite nice.

Also, aren't the headlight pods designed such that if the little block off strip is removed from the front of the nose panel, light shines through as a DRL whenever the headlight is illuminated? I think only certain market cars had the ability to do this ( headlight on with pod down, and I think I even heard some cars had a resistor to step down the voltage to run the headlights more dim?) , but I swear I've seen a photo of it. Looks quite good to me, IMO, as it's integrated into the bodywork.

It looks like not all cars have this cutout? May make my point completely irrelevant for most. I can't seem to find the photo either, it may have been on one of the Facebook groups.

Are you referring to the open area below the headlight covered with those black plastic pieces held in by two push on fasteners that go over plastic posts? I could see where replacing the opaque black plastic with something transparent might simulate a DRL.

Also, aren't the headlight pods designed such that if the little block off strip is removed from the front of the nose panel, light shines through as a DRL whenever the headlight is illuminated? I think only certain market cars had the ability to do this ( headlight on with pod down, and I think I even heard some cars had a resistor to step down the voltage to run the headlights more dim?) , but I swear I've seen a photo of it. Looks quite good to me, IMO, as it's integrated into the bodywork.

It looks like not all cars have this cutout? May make my point completely irrelevant for most. I can't seem to find the photo either, it may have been on one of the Facebook groups.
I recall reading comments to that effect. I believe it was UK (or some other Euro region) cars with a grill(?) of some sort instead of the block-off plate, and the early style "small" bumpers. Plus a large resistor like the one used for the heater blower motor next to each headlight. Hopefully someone can confirm.

However as mentioned that would not work with the full bumpers. And I'd prefer to have a small, low draw LED always on rather than the large high draw headlights.

But the bumper is shielding them off completly, or?
The bumper sits right below the cutouts, but at least on my 85 which was NOT made with this feature, the black plastic cover that goes over the bumper has little shields that come up to block off the opening.

A glass bumper option would be interesting!
I believe that on the cars I've seen utilizing this as a DRL, there's simply nothing in this spot. A hole in the bodywork, that allows you to see the headlight illuminated dimmly inside.

I recall reading comments to that effect. I believe it was UK (or some other Euro region) cars with a grill(?) of some sort instead of the block-off plate, and the early style "small" bumpers. Plus a large resistor like the one used for the heater blower motor next to each headlight. Hopefully someone can confirm.

However as mentioned that would not work with the full bumpers. And I'd prefer to have a small, low draw LED always on rather than the large high draw headlights.
I do believe you're correct, the discussion came up because we were talking about the different resistor functions over the years and markets, so that would make sense. If somehow this area could be illuminated with LED's, maybe by a panel behind the opening with a diffuser, It would look quite cool and have a very low power draw.

Are you referring to the open area below the headlight covered with those black plastic pieces held in by two push on fasteners that go over plastic posts? I could see where replacing the opaque black plastic with something transparent might simulate a DRL.
Correct. It seemed to vary a lot by year. On my 85, there is no cover for this area- rather the bumper "skirt" has little tabs that come up to block off view. Although, they don't block it off very well and the area below is still clearly visible.

I believe having this area open also serves another purpose: from what I remember, flashing the brights is clearly visible in the slots, even with the pods down. For me, thats worth it to leave the headlight visible, but adding secondary illumination as DRLs using more efficient LED's would be preferable. Integrating both together might be difficult. Honestly, switching to a LED headlight and adding the resistor may be the best of both worlds if the led headlights driver can handle the low voltage and still produce a light output.

I did that on the front of one of my VWs. I added a set of vintage (to match the age of the car) fog lights under the front valance. They have yellow lenses and I installed yellow LEDs in them. They are wired into the main harness to function as the running and turn signal lights.
How about going to the EU front lens which has both a clear and an amber section with two bulbs.

The running and turn signal could be as it is today a two way 1157 type bulb and the clear section could be a 5 watt projector type LED, there are some blade type units I have recently bought for my Element’s back up lights that put out @1000 lumens. Plenty bright for a DRL and it would look OE because it is OE.

It would require changing the bulb base in the light assembly by cutting the right base out of another light and using JBWeld or similar to meld the parts together.

Late or early, your choice.
9DEA74DF-314F-421F-ABD1-D1738D92E0CB.jpeg
AB6CCF2B-0702-427C-B5D6-88538881173C.jpeg

I replaced parking light bulbs with LED bulbs. No modifications are neccesary.
I don't know about Euro cars, but when I select parking lights on my '74 my headlight pods go up. So for me to get the same result SOME modifications would be required. :)

Roy

IMG_1828.JPG

Back