Dyno Contest Winner !

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
The winner is.. Papa Tony!
That radio station you were listening to made the difference..

PM me your shipping addy and that rust plated trophy will shadow your door step.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My guess based on favorite FM radio staions also...
105.1 HP - LA Country
100.7 pds/ft - KHEY Ventura

I don't believe you said it had to be a a specific RPM... so I'm just saying these are the MAXIMUM figures achieved.

HA!

Tony
"Black-Tooth and me since 1983"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the Dyno Plot. I'll let Steven S. or another one of our drivers describe what this engine is like at Sears Point.
Note the torque -vs- Bhp, about equal and where the actual power band of this engine runs, it's matches the gearing and actual race speeds at typical LeMons races. More Bhp can be had from this engine, but given actual LeMons race conditions, it is far perfered to build an engine that is basically un-bustable with a broader power curve and less peak power.

run10tiffcopy.jpg

Congratts Papa Tony.. Now leme have a dat trofey and I will gets it bronzed for yas....:italia:

Congrats Tony!!!

So I guess that means my estimate of "More than a stock X" wasn't precise enough?!?!!

<papa tony>HA!</papa tony>

Hmmm... apparently HTML doesn't support "papa tony" tags. Seems like an oversight to me. ;)

Pump gas?

It sounded great on the dyno and those are some great numbers! Congrats!

Tony, your radio is off tune

It is KHAY and not KHEY. Whats with you...
I tuned into it and I am listening now simultaneously with you. Isn't that amazing or what.
And congrats on that trophy Ha Ha Ha.
All the best RUPUNZEL

He cheated!!

Well, maybe not but it felt good to say so. Ha! :p
We all gotta see the prize! Congrats Tony.

Last edited:
You are RIGHT!

Thank God spelling didn't count!

(My Lord I haveta have a friend halfway around the world correct me on the Counry Music Station I listen to almost daily! - HAHAHA!)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

HAHAHA...

I don't believe this...

Please send my Trophy to:

Papa Tony Natoli
20842 Benz Road
Santa Clarita CA 91350

(I never believed that "old age and cunning stuff" before... until now!)

Be assured Bernice... it will be given the appropriate place of "honor" after I receive it!

Guess???

That was EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE speaking there DISGUISED as a guess!

Didn't wanna make the "youngsters" feel bad...

HA!

Dammit Bob... How'd you find out?

... now PROVE IT!

(yur just jealous 'cause my new PISTON TROPHY will be BIGGER than yur FIRST PLACE FFO TROPHY!)

lemonsxdynotrophy.jpg

100 octane race pump gas yes, street pump gas no.

At just over 11 to 1 compression and being run at near full throttle all the time, street pump gas will not do.

BTW, guestimate weight of the LeMons X is between 1600 to 1700 pounds with just over 100 Bhp and about the same in torque at the rear wheels, this is one quick X1/9.

One of our drivers helped the "Members Only" Porsche 928 take a little jaunt off the course during practice on Friday . Got a little giggle out of this as this drive owns a Porsche GT-3 and is a long time Porsche fan.

It sounded great on the dyno and those are some great numbers! Congrats!

Believe it..

This trophy will be happy to be with Papa Tony..

I'll try and get it out tomorrow (two bolt assembly required)..and we would like to see a image of Papa Tony with this nice rust plated trophy..

:hug:
Bernice

HAHAHA...

I don't believe this...

Please send my Trophy to:

Papa Tony Natoli
20842 Benz Road
Santa Clarita CA 91350

(I never believed that "old age and cunning stuff" before... until now!)

Be assured Bernice... it will be given the appropriate place of "honor" after I receive it!

:)It should be soaked in Moxie after arriving so that it can have a more Pitted look... Then we should take it out and get it zink Plated... along with all of the bolts when I restore the Faza Car...:)

You got it, Bernice... Fotos to follow...

I'm going out front right now to wait for it...

Please include the assembly instructions along with that "lefty-loosey", righty-tighty reminder...

HAHAHA!

Bernice are you willing to share the setup? I know you have given bits and pieces in the various threads but did I miss the particulars? I would love to hear exactly what is making this thing go!

BTW - As well as being an enjoyable read these threads are great motivation for those of us with partially completed cars.

Well, the Matt's dyno guess basically outlined the laundry list of what is in the engine, while not exact, it's not too far off.

The current transaxle is stock, the one that failed 4th gear has a 4.42 final drive.

Suspension is a variant of Steve Hoelscher suspension set up. The revised suspension struts looks like this:
frontstrut362010.jpg

Big thanks to Steve for sharing his work on the X1/9 suspension with us. It made sense, so we adopted it flavored to LeMons racing and it works well.

Elastic bushings are slowly disappearing off the X suspension and being replaced with something much more precise.

Front brake calipers front and rear with teflon/sst braided lines, ATE super blue brake fluid. Hawk / stock brake pads.

Other stuff, lighten the car as much as possible and make absolute sure every little detail gets proper attention.

The electricals are designed and built from scratch by me..

Cooling system has a water pump that has the impeller to housing clearance adjusted to 0.03" inch, stock radiator, stock hoses with double hose clamps where possible. Manual switch operated fan, stock instrument cluster.

12 Gallon fuel cell with "AN" plumbing. Leaks of any kind is not tolerated at LeMons. Electric fuel pump with bypass pressure regulator.

Stock CV joints (modified ball retainers to reduce friction and Redline CV-2 grease) and axles. CV joint bolts are replaced every time the CV joints are removed for any reason.

The usual race car roll cage and safety stuff..

That is basically it, simplicity goes a long way to keep a endurance racer problem free.

Bernice

Bernice are you willing to share the setup? I know you have given bits and pieces in the various threads but did I miss the particulars? I would love to hear exactly what is making this thing go!

BTW - As well as being an enjoyable read these threads are great motivation for those of us with partially completed cars.

Wow, I was close huh?!

That's funny cause I really didn't have too much inside information on the engine build, but I just "figured" if I were building a budget engine, had years of history and parts connection with these cars, and had a team of good hands and feet technicians to help out, that recipe might be the ticket.

I assumed based on my past performance with stock heads and mild compression race engines that a ported and polished BV head with ample breathing through multiple carbs would pull the performance up significantly over what I have seen. Two comments here:

Your chart clearly shows great performance down low, but you have a lot of room for improvement higher up in the RPM. It also shows something else: Realistic power outputs from these engines. When I have made comments in the past about folks needing to control their expecations of performance mods on street engines, I think I rained on some people's party. Now here's another example of a quality build that I believe has some serious advantages over my race motors, and neither formula breaks 110 at the wheels with cam selection whose powerbands are in the 6-7K range. Look at the power band folks, at 3K, this motor has less power than a street cam'd X.

That little rant aside....:)

If you and the team can do some work with different cams that extend your high-end torque so that you can find another 500 - 1000 RPM of power over 100HP that will be huge. The 3 / 4 split is so large on a stock transaxle that we've found you really need at least a 1500 RPM power band to keep the 'mo (momentum) on the upshifts. As long as you keep the powerband (and your shift points) below 8K RPM, the transaxle will not be too stressed and should have good longevity. The drivers were probably shifting around 6500-7000 RPM, and if that could be pulled up to 7500-7750, that would really help with the gear split issue.

I can't explain your 4th gear problem unless the 4th gear bush overheated and galled itself to the pinion shaft, then tore the teeth off both gears.

It goes without saying that the team's results were EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE. Great job everyone.

-M

Mr. Brown... did you see this?

Didn't know they were running "Free-Range Springs"... Did ya?

If you had the insider info like I did... Ya mighta have calculated the hp more accurately like me...

frontstrut362010.jpg

Now here's another example of a quality build that I believe has some serious advantages over my race motors, and neither formula breaks 110 at the wheels with cam selection whose powerbands are in the 6-7K range. Look at the power band folks, at 3K, this motor has less power than a street cam'd X.

This motor lives at 5k+ rpm the entire race. While we circulate under yellow, I'll look down and see I'm tooling along at 4500-5000rpm and think - gee, I really should shift to save gas. Honestly, the power delivery of this motor is just great. Always happy for more hp, but the balance and breadth of performance on this motor is very good for what we're doing.

What *is* important, is instant power delivery as you bob-and-weave through slower/bigger traffic and the drive out of corners. We get out-dragged on the straights, sure - but how much ground do you think you can hold against a volvo with a 302 V8 stuffed in it?? But few cars can take us coming off the corners (including the V8 volvo), and the ability to squirt through gaps in traffic is absolutely key. Good, instant torque combined with a nice bit of hp as the torque drops off, makes for a nice little motor.

Now we're losing time to wheelspin on corners. More projects to undertake! :)

Back