dyno tuning of lemons x19

bikesandcars

True Classic
I"ll post pictures of the curves shortly, I don't have them here with me.

We testing the lemons x at a dyno last Friday

Because thursday and friday were so busy I barely had time to throw the new cam in and get the car running. After some hiccups friday morning we basically threw the car on the trailer, raided the shop for tools, and headed out.

Our first dyno run netted us about 65 hp (at the wheel). This was very dissapointing, but the good news is that it was mainly due to poor ignition timing. After adjusting the timing we got the power over 70. From there we started playing with the fuel pressure, advancing the valve timing, fine tuning the ignition timing, and tuning the exhaust gas pressure. Our final run netted us about 83 HP at the wheels (about 100 at the crank), with peak torque of 80 lbf at 4500 rpm and about 80 hp from 4500 to 7000 rpm (falling after 7,000). The engine is nice and torquey, and should pull out of corners well.

Dyno tuning was a real eye-opening experience, seeing how changes effect the car taught me a lot about the car and how to tune it moving forward. We also discovered that the Tach we had was 900 rpm off at 7,000 rpm. As a simple solution I bought a new tach from advance auto that will serve as our primary, while we keep the old tach for the shift light and water temp.

The car is ready to go to capitol offense this weekend besides some very minor details. We finished nut and bolt / final prep Sunday.

I learned a couple things (even the dyno guy did).

When it comes to fine tuning I really recommend getting a super-trapp disk set. Just tuning the exhaust alone gave us 5 HP from 4K to 5000rpm with no peak loss.

The weber is sensitive to fuel pressure, and when dead-headed needs to see low fuel pressure (2psi most) to run right.

The cam from elgin does exactly what I asked it to do, not very peaky but has a nice broad torque curve. Advancing the cam a few degrees netted us 5HP through the whole range.

When thinking about carb tuning...get the rest of the system running first. Optimizing the valve / ignition timing and fuel pressure has a huge effect on air/fuel ratio (we used a wide band tester). When we started the carb was way too rich. We thought we needed new jetting. As it turns out, with the fuel pressure right and the valve / ignition timing optimized the fuel came right in-line. If we would have gone right to the carb we would have messed ourselves up.

All in all I was expecting a few more HP, but with the torque curve how it is the power seems about right (on a pump gas motor). We're in the range of 9.5 to 10:1 compression.

Thanks to Dave at KDR Performance, I highly recommend a trip to his Dyno, they were awesome. He's west of Allentown PA about 1/2 hour.

Good to hear the dyno day worked out well. At nee 80 RW-Hp. This X should do well at LeMons as long as it stays together and the drivers stay completely out of trouble. You task will now be to get the rest of the team up to speed, set the ground rules, team member duties and organization. Make sure the radios work as they should. Communications is extremely important.

While Elgin is not an easy guy to work with for delivery and etc.. He knows what to do and how to get what is expected, this come from years of experience.

I would also suggest find any way possible lower the race weight of the X before the event. Any weight reduction = better performance.

Have a great race and most of all have FUN>

:dance2:
Bernice

Great stuff here...

... and truly where it COUNTS, where the rubber meets the roller!

Continued success and keep those FOTOS coming!

Dyno Sheets http://www.cwmotorsport.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=slideshow.Slideshow&g2_itemId=702

Note the improvement from advancing the cam a couple degrees ("Cam Timing 1")

Note semi-shocking improvement from final tuning with the supertrapp after the easy HP was had.

june11dynorun004.jpg

Dyno curve looks good. Shift point should be just past the HP peak.. or just over 7,000 RPM.

Torque & HP looks like it will help reduce the 3rd-4th gearing gap too.

While Elgin takes forever and seems flaky to deal with, he knows how to make a cam that meets spec..

Best of Luck on race day.

Bernice

Dyno Sheets http://www.cwmotorsport.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=slideshow.Slideshow&g2_itemId=702

Note the improvement from advancing the cam a couple degrees ("Cam Timing 1")

Note semi-shocking improvement from final tuning with the supertrapp after the easy HP was had.

An unexpected thing happened too... Both the mechanic and engineer in me really loved the dyno trip, more than I expected, its almost addicting in itself (the quest for more power).

I can see myself going back there just for the fun of testing and getting more HP out of the engine.

a local tuner...

A local tuner does "dyno shootouts" where he offers low-cost dyno pulls (ie. $50/ea) and markets to import tuner clubs. He'll get 10+ cars that show up, and each compete against each other in dyno pulls. Some will drive home, swap airboxes, filters, plug wires, etc, etc, etc.

Sadly, at the end of the day, the difference comes down to about 2hp between cars, which could easily be affected by ambient pressure or temperature or dyno errors between pulls. The guys keep fiddling anyway, trying to find that extra 2hp to beat his buddy....which is pretty pointless, in the grand scheme of things. You'd think the dyno owner would point that out, but is not his place to say I guess.

Anyway, the tuner guy makes a killing on those days - and everybody leaves happy, so who am I to complain? ;)

Back