Early car rear brake question

garm

Low Mileage
Hi all,
1967 Fiat 850 (headlight cover car), are these rear brakes the same as the series 2 cars?
I need to completely restore these rear brakes, they are frozen on both sides, the springs can be compressed with my fingers, etc.
The online vendors state year ranges that start with 1968.

wLRmpKB8.jpeg

Garm,
I believe they are the same as my 72, in fact many of the same shoes/cylinders were used on the 127's. The early auto adjusters can be replaced by 127 style that come with the shoes.

As for compatability, the online Rockauto.com catalog is your friend. Also, if you order on Amazon, returns are very easy. The fiat vendors are good for unusual 850 parts, but brakes are everywhere even for the 850.

My cars usually start at zero and gain points from there. So this one is unusual for me. Lots of TLC needed though.
The only thing which can freeze on these is the wheel cylinder which is a pretty simple replacement. The 850 and 128 used the same rear wheel cylinder and the same brake drum.

The shoes and springs look good to me.

You are missing the hold down spring and retainer on the right shoe in the pic.

Hi all,
1967 Fiat 850 (headlight cover car), are these rear brakes the same as the series 2 cars?

View attachment 75158

Yes, those are Series 2 type brake shoes with the auto-adjusters. As Karl pointed out, you are missing the lower retaining pin, spring & caps assembly on the right brake shoe (full assembly is visible on the left shoe).

Thanks. Have to wonder why they state "series 2" for the shoes, I guess I'll take a chance and get some parts over here.
An updated way to adjust would be great, I've never liked those cam systems.
Example: https://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-2...w10mm-adjusters-fiat-850-all-1968-73-new.aspx
They state "Series 2" because that's what they are. The Series 1 rear brakes didn't have the auto-adjusters on the shoes, they had the manual (cam style) adjusters on the backing plate, instead.

Btw, if the rear brakes on your car are original & not something retrofitted by you or a previous owner, your car is likely an early to mid-1968 Series 1 (100GS) USA model. These cars had the early covered-headlight body but some of the new features of the upcoming Series 2 (100GBS) "Sport" models, like late-style disc brakes/hubs/spindles up front, self-adjust drum brakes on the rear, high back seats, etc..

Btw, if the rear brakes on your car are original & not something retrofitted by you or a previous owner, your car is likely an early to mid-1968 Series 1 (100GS) USA model. These cars had the early covered-headlight body but some of the new features of the upcoming Series 2 (100GBS) "Sport" models, like late-style disc brakes/hubs/spindles up front, self-adjust drum brakes on the rear, high back seats, etc..
I think it is an early '68, but.... My car has low back seats, early style disc brakes in front. I thought that was a cam on the brake shoe
meanwhile, rockauto.com sent the wrong shoes, but I found them somewhere else. My number from a VIN lookup is definitely in the 100GS range.
and yes, I have the missing pin, spring and retainers. The spring compresses easily with my fingers, so I'll replace those.

Last edited:
As for compatability, the online Rockauto.com catalog is your friend. Also, if you order on Amazon, returns are very easy. The fiat vendors are good for unusual 850 parts, but brakes are everywhere even for the 850.
rockauto sent these, listed for a '67. Thoughts?

1901-0516-00_v1_1 (1).jpg

Back