Early end to driving season

autox19

True Classic
So I am a total moron who needs to understand I am getting older. My wife and I were at her mom's condo in Glenn arbor on lake michigan (beautiful) we accidentally locked ourselves out early in the morning taking the dogs out. No problem I thought. The balcony door was unlocked. (Think you can see where this is going) she is on the second floor and I found out quite quickly that 30 year old wooden rails won't hold the nails with 155 lbs me hanging on it. Boom down I went. Got real lucky I am alive. Broke right ankle and 3 metatarsal on that foot and hairline/cracked my left ankle. No driving fore for quite a while. So the spider and x19 will get covered for an early nap. Also have 7 24 foot metal tubes I was just getting ready for my next project. Oh well. Next year.
I am glad this forum is here to let me live through others during this down time

Odie

Whoever said age is wisdom was definitely wrong. I think it’s the opposite. Glad you’re ok and hope you’re better for the next driving season.

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill ~ Greek Proverb

So you still got that going for you Odie. Here's hoping you heal quickly and well.

Wow! What a bummer. Glad it wasn't more serious than it turned out. Sounds like this could have been way worse than what actually happened.
Get well soon!

Ouch! Sorry to hear it. :( Heal quickly. 🤕

So basically either your wife or your mother-in-law is to blame. :p

You mean you are not like the heroes in action moves that fall three stories out of a window onto a sidewalk and just shake their head and get up and chase the bad guy!

I'm a few years ahead of you and already the wife and kids conspire to have their son/brother do stuff that I used to do because they have decided I'm "too old and fragile". Do what we did and get a digital deadbolt for the front door so no key needed but of course we will forget the four digit code! I seriously wanted to make the code 1111. My left foot arthritis is so bad I have stopped driving the X and Miata for the moment till the doctor figures this out.

Don't worry, you will continue to do stupid stuff that your doctor told you not to do yet because with age we ger ornerier.

Hang in there and if you need words of encouragement and sympathy feel free to give me a call.

You mean you are not like the heroes in action moves that fall three stories out of a window onto a sidewalk and just shake their head and get up and chase the bad guy!

I'm a few years ahead of you and already the wife and kids conspire to have their son/brother do stuff that I used to do because they have decided I'm "too old and fragile". Do what we did and get a digital deadbolt for the front door so no key needed but of course we will forget the four digit code! I seriously wanted to make the code 1111. My left foot arthritis is so bad I have stopped driving the X and Miata for the moment till the doctor figures this out.

Don't worry, you will continue to do stupid stuff that your doctor told you not to do yet because with age we ger ornerier.

Hang in there and if you need words of encouragement and sympathy feel free to give me a call.
I like the idea of the digital dead bolt and will actually suggest it to my mother in law and sisters in law (as they also have a condo here) they already do the key lock so it's pretty much the same "security "
What's running through my head now is all the stuff "i" do. It's coming to the time I need to bring my tortoises in and they are 60-100 lbs and not sure the wife and handle it. Halloween is around the corner and I am one of those crazy decorators that people specifically drive out of thier way to see. Don't know what will happen them. Hoping for a "party" of friends to help set it up then take it down even though it will be minimal this year.
Sorry to hear about your arthritis. My 25 year old daughter has no cartilage on her right ankle and is actually getting it fused Friday. Yeah not a good time for ankles! But at least I know a good ortho lol

Thanks all. I love this forum because we are all a bit warped. Unlike some forums that take things too seriously

Odie

Dang man that is rough. There is a reason for screws, even a bit loose :) I hate nails.

I try to be careful but one’s balance isn’t what it used to be 20 or so years ago.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Give it some time and you should heal up OK. I managed to tear my rotator cuff in early May (bizarre chain saw accident) and it took a few months to start making significant progress. By August I was able to move around enough to change my shift rod seal although it freaked out my physical therapist when I told her what I was up to.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

This whole incident reminds me of a similar one I experienced several years ago (as far as locking yourself out).

I was house sitting for a family member while they were away for a few days. In the morning I went out back to get something out of my car. It is a large yard with a tall block wall and in a fairly quiet area so I went out in my underwear. Returning to the back door I found it had locked me out. I knew they kept a 'hidden' spare key on the front porch so I started to climb over the side gate to get it. However I then realized there was a school bus stop on the corner in front of the house, with a large group of kids waiting. Not wanting to parade in front of them in my underwear, the only thing I could find was a large cardboard box. So I held it around me in order to go retrieve the key. Fortunately the bus had just arrived and I was able to wait until they were gone before going out front. No idea if any neighbors caught me wearing the box though.

This whole incident reminds me of a similar one I experienced several years ago (as far as locking yourself out).

I was house sitting for a family member while they were away for a few days. In the morning I went out back to get something out of my car. It is a large yard with a tall block wall and in a fairly quiet area so I went out in my underwear. Returning to the back door I found it had locked me out. I knew they kept a 'hidden' spare key on the front porch so I started to climb over the side gate to get it. However I then realized there was a school bus stop on the corner in front of the house, with a large group of kids waiting. Not wanting to parade in front of them in my underwear, the only thing I could find was a large cardboard box. So I held it around me in order to go retrieve the key. Fortunately the bus had just arrived and I was able to wait until they were gone before going out front. No idea if any neighbors caught me wearing the box though.
I so needed that!

Odie

I so needed that!

Odie
True story, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Definitely give your injuries plenty of time to heal. There has been a trend for many doctors to say they can get you back in action in a few days, trying to make themselves sound better than the rest. Unfortunately that's not true, the body will heal itself but it takes its own time. However you don't want to remain completely inactive either - some activity is good. But move things only within the pain free range and not more. Gradually it will move further and further as it heals.

Good advice, start out with something simple like four wheel tire rotations and maybe one targa top removal per day. Second week you could do three targa removals a day and X exhaust removal/install. Third week ad clutch pedal pumping and fourth week at clutch/brake reservoir assembly removal/install.

Good advice, start out with something simple like four wheel tire rotations and maybe one targa top removal per day. Second week you could do three targa removals a day and X exhaust removal/install. Third week ad clutch pedal pumping and fourth week at clutch/brake reservoir assembly removal/install.
dont think i am going to make another putting on the targa top speed run anytime soon. but man that was a fun video to make.
love the fourth week. they did say I need to have my foot elevated and I dont know any other way then to be upside down to do that :)
Bummed that halloween wont be what it normally is, we usually go all out with people stopping by just to see. am on a dead end so we usually dont get alot of people anyway, but still ob la di ob la da

Odie

See if you can get your doctor to get you a ice water circulation unit. It uses a small cooler filled with ice and water, with a pump circulating it through two tubes and a plastic boot that fits over your foot/ankle. It helps to ease the discomfort, but more importantly it also aids in recovery.
9-fb(1)_2146_detail.jpg

Back