Early front spoiler

T H Clark

Low Mileage
Does anyone know of a source for the early front spoiler in metal or plastic? MWB had one listed a couple months ago they said they had made for them but when I Tried to order it but it was gone and they didn't know when they would get another. Also will they fit an 86?
Thanks in advance

Henk in the Netherlands has reproductions listed on his website.

The structure to support the original spoiler was never removed, the plastic body moldings from 1979 on just covered it up. I have a reproduction on my 85X and it fits pretty well. It is most likely a unit from MWB, but I am not 100% sure as it was on the car when I purchased it in 2013. The 85 also has MWB's NLA early bumper reproduction set.
20190803_2b.jpg

You can see the lower corners of the spoiler are poking out a bit. Adjusting the size of the spoiler's rearward mounting holes would probably take care of that. I am just too lazy to do it. :)

Henk in the Netherlands has reproductions listed on his website.

The structure to support the original spoiler was never removed, the plastic body moldings from 1979 on just covered it up. I have a reproduction on my 85X and it fits pretty well. It is most likely a unit from MWB, but I am not 100% sure as it was on the car when I purchased it in 2013. The 85 also has MWB's NLA early bumper reproduction set.
View attachment 80135
You can see the lower corners of the spoiler are poking out a bit. Adjusting the size of the spoiler's rearward mounting holes would probably take care of that. I am just too lazy to do it. :)
What bumpers are those, the US 74?

Thank you JimD, I just asked for a shipping quote from Henks. Are your turn signals mounted to the bumpers or body?

Thank you JimD, I just asked for a shipping quote from Henks. Are your turn signals mounted to the bumpers or body?
The signals are mounted to the body. There are steel trim pieces that cover the signal opening under the headlights. I am not sure these openings ever had signals in them on a US model after 1975. The signals were all bumper mounted from 76 on IIRC. Anyway... The PO cut a rectangular hole into the two trim pieces to accept the late model signal. It functions fine and the rough install is hidden by the bumpers.

This is how I bought the car in 2013. It had already been started down the path towards the early X look, I just finished the job. Well except for that damn spoiler, you can see it was tipped up when I bought it. Geez, what a loser. :)
1st time on trailer 1.JPG

Here is a little better picture showing the signal set into the trim plate. Your car should already have those trim pieces.
1st time on trailer 3.JPG

Ignore the race tires, I was on the way to an autocross.

Might as well toss this before and after. Still has late model side mirrors and engine cover. I have all the parts for an early engine cover swap, just can't decide if I want to do it.
85 before and after.jpg

Does anyone know of a source for the early front spoiler in metal or plastic? MWB had one listed a couple months ago they said they had made for them but when I Tried to order it but it was gone and they didn't know when they would get another. Also will they fit an 86?
Thanks in advance
If you have the 86 plastic spoiler in spare, it can be cut to be fitted between the metallic ears. You also need to drill/adjust the holes in the fastening tabs to obtain a perfect fit
IMG_20210618_110817.jpg

Back