Early grill measurements

bpimm

Brian Pimm
I'm looking for the length of the lower edge standoffs on the early grill, all 3 of mine are missing.

A measurement from the inner lip that they are coming out of would work best.
Grill%20standoff.jpg

I have a feeling that the center standoff is longer than the outside ones to match the top row.

edit: Are the lower standoffs parallel to the upper ones or at a different angle?

Thanks

Last edited:
Wouldnt the best way to deal with this is attach the grill to the front of the car? Then apply the turned cylinders until they were touching the mounts on the car and be able to determine the angle for the reamer by going through the mount hole?

The grille needs to be flush to the body when mounted to get it where it needs to be for the mountings you are adding back on.

Yes that would be best but the car doesn't have any of the mounts for it, it's an 80 so no top side mounts and the chin spoiler that's on it is a fiberglass recreation that someone made and it's kinda crude and has no holes in the mount points. I have 2 steel spoilers but both are bent and in need of repair before I would trust the geometry to build the mounts to fit. With the taper fit there will be a few degrees of adjustment when the glue is fresh because it softens the plastic a fair amount.

Hi Brian. If you can wait a bit, I can certainly supply the measurements and angles you need.

I have 2 decent grills in storage. Cant get to them till Monday. If nobody else responds in the meantime, I will post what you need then.

Doug

Brian is a heartless bastage ;)

Yes, Brian is a heartless bastage. He made me re-evaluate my "perfect" spare grill. It had been on the shelf for years until he asked me to measure it and in my mind it was perfect. I was so happy, now I live in a world of de-spare. My grill is no longer perfect, I can't unsee what has been seen. Oh well, I took measurements for the heartless Brian anyway. ;)

The standoffs vary in length from the side to the center. Here is a picture of the lower standoffs.
IMG_1673.JPG

Here is a picture of the three from the center to one side so you can see the differences better... maybe.
IMG_1674.JPG

Starting from the outer edge standoff and moving towards the center I measured as follows.

Outer standoff is 5/8":
IMG_1675.JPG

Standoff between outer and center is 4/8" or 1/2". ;)
IMG_1677.JPG

Center standoff is 3/8":
IMG_1678.JPG

The imperfect part of this grill is the top is missing a couple standoffs. There should be three and I only have one outer. The remaining outer measures 5/8" like the lower outer, so both upper outers are most likely 5/8". However, the top center will need to be measured by someone with a center standoff. :(

I blame Brian for ruining a perfect (in my mind) grill. Good thing I had a beer handy. :)

Last edited:
Jim, I'm so sorry for ruining your grill, I just hate it when that happens. If you're ever out in this neck of the woods I'll buy you beer.

I think I have it covered, between your measurements and Mike M's grill (olerascalhttp://xwebforums.org/member.php?u=9), also "in good shape on the shelf" I should be able to get all the measurements I need. Assuming I don't ruin Mike's like I ruined yours.

Thanks Again

Back