eBay really sucks these days...

budgetzagato

Administrator
I haven't searched eBay for a long time until now, and was amazed at the junk peddled there. I don't mean the worn and used stuff, that's actually what I go there for, but the "fits all" kits and modules (pic of a cardboard box) and xenon this and that. Holy moly you really have to wade through pages of parts sludge to see anything worth looking at.

Just griping, but really it just reinforces why I don't look very often. :italia:

Amen........

It's become all but useless. With the X, it's pages of 'GMC air cleaner hose (fits Fiat X1/9)', with the MR2, it's hundreds of listings for the identical cam gears, for my 318ti, 30,000 listings of which maybe a hundred or so are actual parts. Taken a lot of joy out of my life, I must say.

not jumpin on this wagon!

Man I LOVE ebay! I can usually find exactly what I'm looking for at *almost guaranteed* the best price. You gotta know how to search and what kind of items ebay is good for...and what it's not. Fiat items are sketchy at best...but I did notice a couple new vendors with decent looking parts...

More than anything I like ebay for finding vendors specialized in what I'm looking for.

latest ebay example- needed a new pair of motorcycle gloves and scored a super high quality pair of Dainese gloves for $27 to my door. Would have paid $80-150 at the local shop for similar quality

if you type into the search bar something like this
"fiat -oil -seat -keyring -watch -yamaha -chain" the search exludes anything with oil, seat, keyring etc within the listing title. Modify it to your own needs and bingo. i was searching for a particular item and my first search yielded over 4000 items. after removing all the junk like above i narrowed it down to something like 250 items. unfortunately still couldn't find one :wall:
hope that helps!

I have to disagree....

I will agree with the part about there being alot of useless stuff on Ebay and bull %#$* turbo kits etc. for our cars but the oustanding ability to shop the entire world from sitting in my pyjamas at my computer is outstanding. Yes I know the "internet" is what made that happen and not Ebay but you've obviously been very fortunate with your X and haven't had the need to shop globaly for parts but I couldn't imagine removing Ebay from my daily searches of Fiat parts.

Don't get me wrong; I shop Midwest, Chris .O, Vick's, International etc... regularly but the difference is that those businesses know what the parts are worth and we pay accordingly which is fine but Ebay gives us that opportunity to find that part you've been searching for at a fraction of what it's worth.:clap:

My X wouldn't be half of what it is today if it weren't for Ebay. I only hope that more and more people list their spare FIat parts on Ebay so that we can have the pleasure of finding those amazing deals to be had.:headbang:

'PeteX1/9

Agreed...

Global parts access is terrific. But, it comes at a price, which is the pages and pages of non-X parts listed as for the X. Things like the previously mentioned turbo kits, carbon canisters from Egypt, the many many parts that might be right but who knows because they use a stock pic instead of one of the real item.

So consider this a thank you also, to those forum members who list stuff there and actually research the part application and use a real pic of the part.

Did you see the rear lower ball joint listing? Doesn't look quite right... :innocent:

Lots Of Stuff On evilbay...

Is pretty junky, but there are exceptions, many exceptions.

Part of the problem is due to the way sellers list their items. Many "junk" sellers on ebay list their wares to catch as many searchers as possible with the idea that more lookers equals more sales.. Not always true.

There are some really great ebay sellers and others that should be tarred & feathered.

Of the ebay sellers I had experience with, some of the worst are on ebay motors or mechanical bits sellers. Some of the best sell women's clothing.. Very differnt mind-set and buyers.

Bernice

!

People who sell seat covers need to be whacked. They list the same stupid cover 500 times because they have 500 of them. Not necessary!!

Lots of good stuff on the Euro Ebay, but expensive shipping!!

I've been using Craiglist a lot. As soon as you post something, you get 100 scammers from China acting interested. If you reply, they start sending you junk and sell your address to all their idiot friends.

It's been invaluable; but in the last few months

something changed I guess in how vendors were allowed to list items. My quest has been to gather enough NOS parts to create a virtually new car, and not just any X, but my early '74 black with burnt orange interior - and virtually everything eventually became available, mostly on eBay. But I wasn't searching for any single thing every day, needed items would appear as I scanned the days offerings. Fortunately I got most of the parts before this new problem emerged, because it takes forever now to see everything. Seems to have happened in the automotive listings, my other searches haven't been affected this way.

Back