ebay stainless steel brake lines

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
well i was looking on ebay for some, but they were like $86usd and not sure how much it would be to ship across the pond(in the UK) might be quicker/cheaper to get a set from mad matt..

I ordered a set of Goodridge lines from a very successful GB-based eBay vendor of such.

They sent me exacly what I asked for, but they did not fit what was on my '86. My car's hard lines have 10 x 1.25 flare nuts while the Goodridge lines were built to a 10 x 1.0 flare nut specification.

After some back-and-forth emails the customer service folks at Goodridge in GB had me send the Goodridge kit I received to their Torrance, CA office along with my originals and they made up a new set duplicating my originals, all at no cost to me except for shipping to CA.

I would suggest ordering from a domestic vendor so that you can more readily verify that what they have will fit the specifics of your car.

but I can't seem to find them listed through summit now. you can try here:
http://www.holley.com/types/Hyperfirm Brake Line Kits.asp

you can try contacting the manufacturer: earl's performance plumbing. www.earlsplumbing.com (looks like holley bought them out)

pn# 28s010erl

I hate this entire Earls/Holly thing.

Back when Earls was Earls, I paid $500.00 for each for each stainless steel brake hose kit (I had 124, X19, Lancia Scorpion/Montecarlo, & 850) to have them made legal for automobile use with the DOT. My agreement with Earls was that I had exclusive rights. That means that if someone else wanted to purchase these kits from Earls, they too would also have to provide samples or drawings and pay the certification fee amount.

When Holly purchased Earls every single exclusivity agreement Earls had was ended, and Holly acquired the rights to build & sell any item in their wholesale catalog. I even had Holly legal contact me afterwards to help me understand the situation after I spotted my kits in their price list.

Now any Tom, Dick, Art, or Bruce can purchase my exclusive kits from their local Holly dealer.

To add insult to injury, Holly has determined that my purchasing volume and coverage does not meet their requirements for any kind of wholesale program, so I too am forced to purchase the kits we stock from a Holly dealer.

Your welcome.

Wow, thanks a lot Holley

Ain't takeovers fun?

If it's any consolation, if anyone orders X hoses from a Bruce (taking a generic name from your list <cough>), he will get a set for a complete 'nother car. And when he points that out to Bruce (again taking a generic name from your list <cough>), he will get blamed for the fact that he was shipped the wrong parts and no remedy will be offered.

Moral to the story: you may wind up hosed if you buy hoses from Tom, Dick, Bruce, or Holley.

Chris, any chance of importing some Goodridge hoses withe the correct fittings? Goodridge makes some first class stuff so that's what I'd like on my Xs.

///Mike

Yep ///Mike... I had a similar experience...

... many moons ago before I knew there was a Chris or Matt or even Vick.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I didn't know my arse from a hole in the ground and what I was sent was correct, no matter what my eyes told me.

I was able to modify them and use them... but I never bothered that man with my money or business again. I guess some folks don't think they need CUSTOMERS to do BUSINESS...

Ain't takeovers fun?

If it's any consolation, if anyone orders X hoses from a Bruce (taking a generic name from your list <cough>), he will get a set for a complete 'nother car. And when he points that out to Bruce (again taking a generic name from your list <cough>), he will get blamed for the fact that he was shipped the wrong parts and no remedy will be offered.

Moral to the story: you may wind up hosed if you buy hoses from Tom, Dick, Bruce, or Holley.

Chris, any chance of importing some Goodridge hoses withe the correct fittings? Goodridge makes some first class stuff so that's what I'd like on my Xs.

///Mike

Mike,
In my experience, if some item(s) are avilable to the general web surfer, even if it's in another country, the surfer will go for the least expensive one found.
I suspect I would not be able to get any better price from Goodridge than you, so I would be able to only sell to clients who don't surf.
Same position as I currently am with Earls.

At least I know the hose kits I sell are the correct ones, I made them! And to date we have had only two failures, and one was on my race car. That's much less than the standard rubber hose we sell.
As for Bruce sending you the wrong kits, I guess I didn't reveal the complete application story to Earl in the beginning...
Could be a problem for others. Which reminds me, watch those new CAVIS spark plug wires!

Good to know the truth!

Tony and ///Mike,
I too shared your experience with the <cough> same vendor.
Like you said, that was also back in pre-Matt days.
And only because <cough> vendor had sale prices on couple of GENERIC non-Fiat specific items.
Both totally wrong.
Example: Car cover to fit X1/9.
True...it did fit...plus about 3 extra feet!
Bastard didn't understand what my problem was.
After all...the cover fit as he stated.
Yep...that freakin' lame.
Not being a harsh sort, I tried again.
Two strikes in two tries.
Nevermore.

Yet, a forum presence seemed to foster
general opinion that <cough> vendor was OK.

mark at allisons automotive useally stock these lines for spiders and x,s. i set both my cars up with his lines.

Just to be clear

I haven't gotten any SS hoses from Bruce or anyone else. Yet. But when I do I'm hoping to find Goodridge hoses. Not sure anyone is importing them, which is why I asked. Sure, anyone can order them from England but shipping would be a killer on 4 hoses. But if a US supplier were to order several sets, he would save enough on shipping that his price out the door would beat what an individual could order them for from the UK.

That said, I suspect you're right in that Goodridge hoses are likely to be more expensive than US made hoses, so you'd be left trying to convince people of the superiority of the more expensive hoses. And Fiat people aren't exactly known for throwing around money. ;-)

I'm awfully cheap myself (not "Tony-cheap", but pretty cheap). ;-) However, I've come to realize that supporting vendors who offer quality parts and service is important. We all cry and whine at times about how difficult it is to source parts, so it's in our best interest to make it profitable for vendors such as yourself to stay in business. After all, selling Fiat parts can't be the easiest way to make a buck, so how many people are going to pickup the slack if guys like you decide they've had enough of that kind of fun.

There are too few Fiat parts vendors as it is. IAP has gone almost totally Alfa. Bruce (to use a generic name from your post <cough>) apparently has little understanding of customer service. Bayless is apparently still around, but seem to be selling off inventory without adding any. Lots more have died off since I ran my '76 those many years ago. The only vendor we've added in many years is Matt, and he specializes in mostly used parts.

So, while I'm as thrifty as most, I love my Xs enough to spend a few bucks with guys like you and Vicks, both because I need the parts and because I want to see you guys do well. Can't say the same about certain vendors of generic <cough> description, from whom I will not order again for the very reasons others have stated.

Regards,

///Mike

Do not use this company

Actually, I ended up ordering a set of brake lines from www.brake-lines.co.uk and they never arrived. I phoned them and there is no answer. They don't respond to e-mails. I have escalated the issue with Paypal but this is just a warning to everyone (to counter my previous advice):

DO NOT order brake lines from www.brake-lines.co.uk.

Cheers,
Dominic.

Man, that sucks Dom. Thanks for warning us though. Hopefully it will save any more Xwebbers from having the same problem.

Did you use a credit card when you paid with PayPal? If so, the cc company will probably help. Unfortunately, PayPal is never your pal in cases such as this.

Please let us know how this turns out.

///Mike

Back