Electric pump or not

autox19

True Classic
Getting things together and getting to wiring the starter back up. Man this was easier with my 81 I had. The mechanical pump seems to be right in the way of a clear shot to the starter. So now I am contemplating switching to a electric pump. Thoughts?

Odie

Getting things together and getting to wiring the starter back up. Man this was easier with my 81 I had. The mechanical pump seems to be right in the way of a clear shot to the starter. So now I am contemplating switching to a electric pump. Thoughts?

Odie
I recently removed my starter to have the solenoid rebuilt, went in and out in 5 minutes with mechanical fuel pump in place so no issues with mechanical pump in the way.👍
Saying this I will replace the mechanical pump with an electric one at some stage but as the mechanical pump is fine atm I’m just leaving it.

For a car that’s only driven occasionally, I really like the electric pump. Here’s the install on my ‘75.
5AB2AC89-4C9E-4547-B2F5-62FFC8CFC3AE.jpeg

I guess I should clarify. this is in a front engine rear wheel drive fiat 124 spider.

Odie

When Fiat fitted an electric pump as standard on any twin cam (carbed) model, it was a rotary vane pump with approx 90litre/hour delivery capacity at 4psi, that's not 90 litre/ hour free delivery which is how a lot of the cheaper pumps are "rated", Standard the electric pump is mounted in the boot / trunk.

a pump with just 60 litre / hour delivery will starve the engine of fuel at WOT

I personally like Carter pumps, my favorite motorsport pump for these cars is a genuine Carter gold 4070 47GPH at 5psi, rated 4 to 7 psi, free flow 72GPH. Use a pressure regulator and always run a return line.

SteveC

I'm not going to get into a discussion of which pump to use but I always convert to electric pump for my Fiats.

For any vehicle I always use a electric pump, for a whole list of reasons. However there has been a serious decline in the quality of electric fuel pumps in recent years. Therefore you have to pay a decent amount to get a good one that will last. One unit that's always done quite well is the Holley style like this:
719t5WHu2NL.jpg

Although I haven't had to buy one in a few years so I can't say if they have changed quality since then. Combine it with a return style fuel pressure regulator for a much improved system.

I add a simple toggle switch on the dash because there are many times I'm working on the electrical system with the ignition on and I really don't need to have the fuel pump thumping away. Also makes a simple anti-theft device but honestly I don't see anyone trying to steel any of my Fiats.

The only problem I see with this setup is you could get hit from the back or side, doing significant damage to the car but allowing the engine to keep running. This is similar to the system Fiat used on the 124 and 128 only it used a signal from the oil pressure sending unit to activate the pump and also the starter circuit to activate the pump. I would probably go the route many folks do and wire in a collision sensor that many cars have. I guess it detects a high g-load from a hit and turns off the pump.

The only problem I see with this setup is you could get hit from the back or side, doing significant damage to the car but allowing the engine to keep running. This is similar to the system Fiat used on the 124 and 128 only it used a signal from the oil pressure sending unit to activate the pump and also the starter circuit to activate the pump. I would probably go the route many folks do and wire in a collision sensor that many cars have. I guess it detects a high g-load from a hit and turns off the pump.
It is the combination of the impact sensor to cut things off in an impact and the ignition or oil pressure to be the go no go for the pump running in the first place.

Two true anecdotes.
1. My dad and I spent a week trying to figure out why his XJ6 would not start. Perusing the factory wiring diagram I found a "black box" that made no sense to me. Turned out it was an impact sensor that had tripped itself (good old Lucas). This was pre internet and you had to figure out everything yourself.

2. On a rainy night the oil light came on on my 128 and a few minutes later the engine stopped (fortunately I had enough warning to pull over on a side street). Next morning I found the oil pressure light switch had broken and sent a false "no pressure" signal to the electric fuel pump relay and turned off the fuel pump.

Undeterred I run electric pumps on all my Fiats. Facet cube pumps are noisy so easy enough to tell if it's working! And if they get really noisy you know you have a fuel supply problem to the pump as it's starting to suck air.

to me, the inertia switch is critical. oil pressure I think I could come up with a bypass which would also be useful when doing some trouble shooting.

Odie

I would put your money into a hi Torque starter motor they are a straight swap and pulls fuel through the mechancial pump even after being unused for a while

I would put your money into a hi Torque starter motor they are a straight swap and pulls fuel through the mechancial pump even after being unused for a while
had one on the 81 I had. will be at sometime putting one in. but right now the budget is soooooo drained, if it currently works, it stays. :)

Odie

I put in an electric pump after a couple failures with mechanical pumps on my 124 Special. I used a Ford inertia switch mounted in the DS corner of the engine bay. Never got around to figuring out the oil relay set up. I guess the Spider's twin cam must be laid out different from the pushrod 4 in the 124 sedan? My starter was on the pass side and the mechanical pump was on the driver's side. I put in a regulator and pressure gauge as well.

You can see the red inertia switch at the top left corner. Regulator and gauge top center and the pump is mounted on the frame near the wheel well. The pump is visible straight down from the regulator to the left of the coil. This is all @Fiataccompli 's problem these days. :)

Fuel_regulator2.JPG

Back