Electronic ignition choice

CnC79X19

True Classic
son’s 79X now has a rebuilt Bosch distributor from Cardone as well as the upgraded module soldered in the old casing. My question is, should we continue with this choice or use the Marelli distributor in the pictures without the external vacuum advance that we found in his parts car (74’X 1300) Which is the better choice?

is it a marelli plex? those are cool, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? ...one consideration- what kind of shape is the Marelli in? I'm betting the bearings and seal on the rebuilt Bosch will last much longer. Vacuum advance can be cool on a street car, and if you don't like it, you can always just disconnect and plug the vacuum lime

88E4BFA9-1541-47F4-99EF-C0D33A8D78E0.jpeg
244982D3-3605-4FF4-9796-BC96C696EB67.jpeg
556A902B-37D3-4E96-B72D-49DA2C469432.jpeg
9ABA6EC0-B46E-45C8-B7AD-E73559C5579E.jpeg
is it a marelli plex? those are cool, but if it ain't broke, why fix it? ...one consideration- what kind of shape is the Marelli in? I'm betting the bearings and seal on the rebuilt Bosch will last much longer. Vacuum advance can be cool on a street car, and if you don't like it, you can always just disconnect and plug the vacuum lime

The Marelli Plex is a nice unit. My experience with it was it was a much tighter unit than the Bosch one, at least with the bolts for the cap instead of the 2 clips of the Bosch cap. On the other hand, if you have a reconditionned Bosch and you are running a stock carb, you may like to keep the vacuum advance. Both choices should be good, but if you have doubt about the state of the Marelli Plex, better keep the stock Bosch.

That looks like a 124 spider electronic dizzy. Do they make one for Xs? I am using the 124 coil pack as shown above with my Bertone.

That's a sohc Plex201 unit, good choice considering your mostly euro spec engine... but looks like the main lead is frayed just inside the distributor.. will likely need replacement...IMO I'd be going with that one without the vacuum advance. set at 10 degrees BTDC and forget it. (once you replace that lead and maybe even the module mounted under the coil on the heatsink) they are pretty bullet proof.

SteveC

yeah man, that looks like a plex system to me...I got one, and I like it, it's vintage aftermarket racy stuff. Only problem is finding parts for them (sorta) most of the vendors have a cap and rotor for it...looks like you will need a new pickup coil (thing inside the distributor with frayed wire)
They are very simple systems, and use that same GM ignition module that you probably got soldered in your existing old Bosch unit, it is on that big aluminum heat sink, under the coil. the only ignition advance on them is spring controlled...those little springs on top can be switched out to give you a different advance curve....lighter springs=quicker advance, heavier springs = later delayed advance.. I recently had to replace my coil, after 20 years as it was leaking oil, and found it is very picky about which coil you can use, coils has to be of a very low resistance, I found that accel replacement coil for electronic ignition worked great. These systems are collectible, I would say, just a pia to find the parts (again, sorta...the parts on these are used on any different ign systems, you just got to cross reference). I know the spider used this system on certain years, and uses the same pickup coil assembly. The one concern I would have would be the bearings in the dizzy. Mine have lasted a long time, but probably need replacing one day, and I have no idea where to find those parts
So there's all I know, maybe others will chime in. To say which is better is hard to say...if that bosch has vacuum ADVANCE, and not retard, then that's a plus for a street car, to give you a little more pick up..I have heard that some people use the bosch dizzy with the plex coil unit (I'm guessing to get the advantage of the Bosch vacuum adavnce, with the hot reliable fire from the Marelli coil . You have to cut the harness and splice the plex plug on the bosch dizzy..it is polarized tho, so you have to hook up the 2 wires only one way. Supposedly it won't hurt if you wire it differently, just won't work.
So to summarize, if you want to be an Italian purist, and have a cool collectible ignition system, then yeah, the Marelli system is very cool, but you already have a fine system. You're already now using the GM ign module..only downfall is if that electronic module you are now using fails, and it is really soldered in, might be a pain to replace, altho, I've never had mine go bad
here's some videos on testing the parts

PS: Oh yeah, if you use the Marelli, you get to use to really cool Magnetti marelli sticker on your back window to show you are an italian purist snob like the rest of us - haha!
good luck with your decision
magneti-marelli.svg

yeah man, that looks like a plex system to me...I got one, and I like it, it's vintage aftermarket racy stuff. Only problem is finding parts for them (sorta) most of the vendors have a cap and rotor for it...looks like you will need a new pickup coil (thing inside the distributor with frayed wire)
They are very simple systems, and use that same GM ignition module that you probably got soldered in your existing old Bosch unit, it is on that big aluminum heat sink, under the coil. the only ignition advance on them is spring controlled...those little springs on top can be switched out to give you a different advance curve....lighter springs=quicker advance, heavier springs = later delayed advance.. I recently had to replace my coil, after 20 years as it was leaking oil, and found it is very picky about which coil you can use, coils has to be of a very low resistance, I found that accel replacement coil for electronic ignition worked great. These systems are collectible, I would say, just a pia to find the parts (again, sorta...the parts on these are used on any different ign systems, you just got to cross reference). I know the spider used this system on certain years, and uses the same pickup coil assembly. The one concern I would have would be the bearings in the dizzy. Mine have lasted a long time, but probably need replacing one day, and I have no idea where to find those parts
So there's all I know, maybe others will chime in. To say which is better is hard to say...if that bosch has vacuum ADVANCE, and not retard, then that's a plus for a street car, to give you a little more pick up..I have heard that some people use the bosch dizzy with the plex coil unit (I'm guessing to get the advantage of the Bosch vacuum adavnce, with the hot reliable fire from the Marelli coil . You have to cut the harness and splice the plex plug on the bosch dizzy..it is polarized tho, so you have to hook up the 2 wires only one way. Supposedly it won't hurt if you wire it differently, just won't work.
So to summarize, if you want to be an Italian purist, and have a cool collectible ignition system, then yeah, the Marelli system is very cool, but you already have a fine system. You're already now using the GM ign module..only downfall is if that electronic module you are now using fails, and it is really soldered in, might be a pain to replace, altho, I've never had mine go bad
here's some videos on testing the parts

PS: Oh yeah, if you use the Marelli, you get to use to really cool Magnetti marelli sticker on your back window to show you are an italian purist snob like the rest of us - haha!
good luck with your decision

That's a sohc Plex201 unit, good choice considering your mostly euro spec engine... but looks like the main lead is frayed just inside the distributor.. will likely need replacement...IMO I'd be going with that one without the vacuum advance. set at 10 degrees BTDC and forget it. (once you replace that lead and maybe even the module mounted under the coil on the heatsink) they are pretty bullet proof.

SteveC

Hey Steve,
If the Marelli system is more simple, then I think we'll go for that. Will it be a simple plug and play or will it require cutting and soldering wires? Wiring is not one of my stronger points. Also, where can we get the new parts for it?
magneti-marelli.svg

Thanks Kevin. I'll remove the Marelli and have a better look at everything. Maybe post some pictures to get some opinions?

Considering there really isn't any significant performance difference to be gained, I'd suggest keeping the Bosch that has just been completely rebuilt. Especially for a street driven car that will get frequent use (as your son's daily driver I believe). A "new" (rebuilt) unit is always better than a used and unknown one. Replacing the pickup coil is nowhere the same as rebuilding the whole distributor. Both are just as reliable as the other IF they are in equal condition (i.e. both have been rebuilt), but here one has a definite advantage over the other having been properly rebuilt.

Thanks Doc,
I know the Marelli worked because the 1300 was running before we started parting it out so maybe I'll take your suggestion and place it up for sale.

Back