Electronic tachometer stopped working?

phillies4752

True Classic
For some reason my tachometer stopped working today. I made sure that it was plugged in correctly and started the car again. Still nothing... Is there a fuse that I should check? Another connection other then the one behind the dash?

It's a 1983 x1/9 1500

Any help would be appriciated

Tachometer

Check the connectors at the ignition coil. Check the fuses. An old diagram I looked into appears to involve fuse 7, but i'm not sure. Hope you fix it soon. Soon some forum experts will help you more.

According to the diagrams...

The tach signal wire starts at the Ignition Control Unit as a white wire, changes to brown w/white stripe and continues to the tach. Power for the tach comes from the orange wire and is shared with the volt meter, so if your volt meter is working the tach probably has power. Same with the grounds.

The tach signal wire starts at the Ignition Control Unit as a white wire, changes to brown w/white stripe and continues to the tach. Power for the tach comes from the orange wire and is shared with the volt meter, so if your volt meter is working the tach probably has power. Same with the grounds.

I went back out to check it again and wiggle some wires... When im reving the engine the tach bobs up and down maybe a quarter inch but nothing more.

If it were me...

I'd remove the cluster but keep it plugged in, and test the tach gauge connections. One is ground, one is power, one will flicker with engine revs similar to an injector test "noid" light.

That said, they do go out. Shouldn't be too hard to find a good one. I think the tach in my X stopped at some point even, I have a mystery "bad" tach in a box in the budget garage.

+1

Check the little brass nuts and washers that connect the tach to the circuit board of the cluster. They get corroded and/or tarnished and may have lost connectivity since the cluster was disturbed. You can clean them up with a pencil eraser to make them nice and shiny.

+1

Like these (which aren't the tach connectors):
IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

I went and pulle my dash today... Got my voltmeter out. Like you guys said one post is the negative reading 0. The middle post is the constant current running 12-14. And the top post flickered depending on the rpm's.

I cleaned up the posts and made sure everything was tight but still the same quarter inch movement when reving it. Looks like I will be needing another tach :(

Bob I will be in contact, you da man!

Back