Engine Alignment confusion

Andy

True Classic
Hey Xweb,

I'm confused.
Quick back story, the 1300 engine in my 128 autocross car was getting tired, and last summer started puking coolant so I pulled the engine.

I had a 1500 lower end that was equipped with domed pistons. Seemed like an opportune time to swap then out.

Several life events ensued and finally the 1500 is built with the PBS head and cam is in the car. Barely.

Here is my confusion... The engine sits crooked in the car.

If I stand at the drivers side front wheel and look across the engine bay, the pulley end of the engine appears too far toward the front of the car.
Conversely the back side of the transmission hits on the bottom of the firewall and the steering rack.

I have spent the last three days prying, jacking, lifting, cursing, loosening and tightening motor mount bolts and I cannot get it to line up right.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3421.jpg
    IMG_3421.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3419.jpg
    IMG_3419.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3425.jpg
    IMG_3425.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 89
The pulley end looks normal, it's the other end (@ trans) that's sitting way too far back. Look at your driver-side axle, it can't even go in straight for you to get the boot & plate mounted. Your axles should run inline horizontally across the car. I'd undo the top mount (128 dogbone), jack that end of the driveline up slightly to remove the lower mount, then push/pull the trans end towards the front of the car & reinstall the top & bottom mounts.

Silly question, but hopefully you're using a 128 crossmember?

I have put 1500 motors in lots of 128s and never had a problem so it's basic whatever it is. Are you using all the mounts from the 128 that you had on the 1300 on this car? You are using the 1300 four speed, right?

I have done lots of 1500 swaps. I suspect its a motor mount or cross member issue. Did you use the same mounts and cross member?

Thanks guys,

Yes, 4 speed, same one that was in the car with the 1300. The only thing that changed is the block.
The lower mount and cross member were in the car before. The snail mount has been replaced with NOS I had.

The dog bone is not tight at, in fact the firewall end just has a long bolt slide through to hold it place while I was trying to figure out what the *bleep* is wrong.

Any way I am headed to the garage to wrestle some more.

Back