Engine and Chasis numbers

elvislives

Low Mileage
Hello all X1/9 lovers.I will take my 1975 X1/9 to TÜV car inspection.They will check for engine number and chassis number and compare the ones written on car license.
Can anyone please explain where those numbers are ? Photos would be more helpful.

Hello all X1/9 lovers.I will take my 1975 X1/9 to TÜV car inspection.They will check for engine number and chassis number and compare the ones written on car license.
Can anyone please explain where those numbers are ? Photos would be more helpful.
Here 'ya go...... I think the engine number is stamped on a pad on the block close to the transmission side of the block. Don't have a picture of that one unfortunately.
IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3086.jpg
IMG_3087.jpg

Hello , thank you for your quick reply and photos. Unfortunately the 2 number plates (Windowshield and fronttrunk) is missing. On trunk firewall I will check tomorrow I hope it's readable.Is there any number on engine block ?

Hello , thank you for your quick reply and photos. Unfortunately the 2 number plates (Windowshield and fronttrunk) is missing. On trunk firewall I will check tomorrow I hope it's readable.Is there any number on engine block ?
The front trunk VIN is stamped above the battery. Engine should be stamped in the area I outlined above.

If the windshield VIN is missing, someone may have folded it down under the dashboard. You'll have to remove the instrument cluster to see if that's what's happened. I know, because that's what the previous owner did to ours.

The windshield VIN did not exist on European cars at that time, its only been there for some 15-20 years or so.
The only VIN, is the one that is stamped into the chassi.
In Sweden, even today, the only valid VIN is the properly stamped one, they dont care about the windshield one, nor the extra plates/labels

The engine will have a number stamped on the block. However it likely does not match the chassis number. The engines and chassis (cars) were not kept in coordination by Fiat, so the numbers are random. I don't know if the paperwork there gives both the chassis and engine numbers. Otherwise they will have to go by just the chassis number.

Well, here in Sweden, engine number is unknown, and it is not linked to chassis number.
So, obviously, one cannot identify a car by its engine number.

Well, here in Sweden, engine number is unknown, and it is not linked to chassis number.
So, obviously, one cannot identify a car by its engine number.
As it should be. Especially with older vehicles, where the engine could easily be a replacement. :)

Here I've had problems with this. Particularly on vintage motorcycles. Seems they are a target for theft (no idea why), so the motor vehicle department (DMV) looks at the engine and chassis numbers. However lots of bike manufacturers back then did not build them with matching numbers. Try explaining that to a middle age, menopausal, underpaid, uneducated, unqualified, angry clerk at the DMV. [Apologies if any of that applies to anyone here...only speaking from prior personal experiences at the DMV.]

As it should be. Especially with older vehicles, where the engine could easily be a replacement. :)

Here I've had problems with this. Particularly on vintage motorcycles. Seems they are a target for theft (no idea why), so the motor vehicle department (DMV) looks at the engine and chassis numbers. However lots of bike manufacturers back then did not build them with matching numbers. Try explaining that to a middle age, menopausal, underpaid, uneducated, unqualified, angry clerk at the DMV. [Apologies if any of that applies to anyone here...only speaking from prior personal experiences at the DMV.]
Right, none of my old bikes have matching chassis and engine numbers. But they do all have BOTH chassis and engine numbers listed on the titles, which keeps things straight. I'm in California, your state may not show both numbers on a bikes title. It should.

The windshield VIN did not exist on European cars at that time, its only been there for some 15-20 years or so.
In Sweden, even today, the only valid VIN is the properly stamped one, they dont care about the windshield one, nor the extra plates/labels
In the U.S., or at least in California, they needed to see FOUR I.D. points before they’d license the car.

Last edited:
Only one ID on the entire car which matters? Crazy.

"Early X conversion kits" used to include the title, number plates, and that part of the bulkhead above the battery to 'turn' a later car into an early, smog-exempt car. Totally illegal, of course, but not unknown.

If you really zoom in on the top left back corner of the engine block, you can make out the engine number. See second pic below. The first line is the series and the second line is (I presume) a sequence number. To my knowledge they are in no way synched with the VIN.

IMG_1122.JPG

Engine Number.JPG

Last edited:
Back