Engine bay belly pan

dburdick

doug b
Found a source for some thin composite aluminum to use under the car. I don't know how the belly pan is supposed to look. How much of the bottom of the engine bay can I enclose?

It's not as big as you think...

I have mine out currently. I can post some pics and measurements. It only covers from the bottom of the "firewall" to the subframe that supports the engine and stuff. I can say this, it's easier to see what's in there without it in place.

I took mine out to clean and paint it. Someone previously torched a large access area so they could lazily reach the oil filter. I plan on creating a removable or hinged panel to cover this opening.

I also found that many of the fasteners for the panel were missing. Upon removal I destroyed one of the captured nuts, which I got from the Monte Hospital.

Since it runs fine without the panel I've just been driving without it in place. But it'll get reinstalled before the weather gets too hot.

Here's some basic info...

47.5" x 17" (18" at area with protrusion)

Upright baffle is 9" at tallest point

Pics (click on thumbnails to enlarge):

Pressed steel...

It's formed thin gauge steel, with some rubber flaps at the edges which I didn't include in my measurements. Slots where it fits past the handbrake cabling.

I think TMH sells one in "GRP" meaning glass-reinforced plastic, or what we call fiberglass here.

Seems it would be easy enough to fabricate with aluminum, especially if you know someone with a sheet metal brake or some other kind of bender.

The general curve is larger than a tire's curve... I think you could approximate it with some clever thinking and effort.

Back