Engine not getting fuel

BobL

Low Mileage
Hey all! My 850 has been out of commission for several years, and I recently had the gas tank cleaned and sealed, replaced the fuel filter, fuel tank sending unit, and fuel pump. Trying to start the car and I’m not seeing any gas flowing into/through the fuel filter (it’s clear so you can see through it). I’m stumped. Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Edit: This car is for sale! Contact me if you are interested!

Thanks!
-Bob

Last edited:
Welcome to Xweb!

I don't have an 850, but I will go for the easy fix first: Is there any chance you have the fuel input and return lines reversed? (At least I think the later US market 850s had a recirculating fuel system)

Welcome to Xweb!

I don't have an 850, but I will go for the easy fix first: Is there any chance you have the fuel input and return lines reversed? (At least I think the later US market 850s had a recirculating fuel system)
Thanks, Jim. My ‘67 does not have a recirculating fuel system. And thanks for the welcome! I was active many years ago on the old mirafiori forum if anyone remembers that place.

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts
1. Is the filter net on the tank sender clogged?
2. Do you have an old collapsed hose?
3. Have you tested the fuel pump (I know you said its new, but that doesn't guarntee nothing) with a hose and a gas can?

Thanks, Jim. My ‘67 does not have a recirculating fuel system. And thanks for the welcome! I was active many years ago on the old mirafiori forum if anyone remembers that place.
Well, I was guessing. :)

Mirafiori is still alive.

Bob. Welcome.
Fill the carb bowl with a gas can. I use a short hose, carb fuel inlet to funnel and fill it that way. Start the car. In my experience sometimes cranking it is not enough to prime the pump. Once it runs check pump output. I just had this problem on my 48 Ford truck after replacing everything, works fine now.
And if your fuel filter is plastic replace it with a metal one once it runs. Just my opinion but those plastic filters have no place in a hot 850 engine compartment. I know…some clear ones are glass.

Hey all! My 850 has been out of commission for several years, and I recently had the gas tank cleaned and sealed, replaced the fuel filter, fuel tank sending unit, and fuel pump. Trying to start the car and I’m not seeing any gas flowing into/through the fuel filter (it’s clear so you can see through it). I’m stumped. Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Edit: This car is for sale! Contact me if you are interested!

Thanks!
-Bob

Hi Bob! Where are you located, I might be interested in the car.

As for your fuel problem, check that the pump is actually being driven by the little rod. I've seen situations like this when a new pump is installed and the rod just isn't actuating the pump 'enough'.

Bob. Welcome.
Fill the carb bowl with a gas can. I use a short hose, carb fuel inlet to funnel and fill it that way. Start the car. In my experience sometimes cranking it is not enough to prime the pump. Once it runs check pump output. I just had this problem on my 48 Ford truck after replacing everything, works fine now.
And if your fuel filter is plastic replace it with a metal one once it runs. Just my opinion but those plastic filters have no place in a hot 850 engine compartment. I know…some clear ones are glass.
Thanks, I’ll report back when I make some progress!

Hi Bob! Where are you located, I might be interested in the car.

As for your fuel problem, check that the pump is actually being driven by the little rod. I've seen situations like this when a new pump is installed and the rod just isn't actuating the pump 'enough'.
Thanks! I’m in Nashville, TN.

Back