Engine Photos

halojm

True Classic
Just thought I'd post a few photos of my engine before it goes back in. It's a standard bore 1500, block decked .040", Euro head shaved .060", Fel Pro head gasket, Euro cam, ported and polished Euro intake/Euro exhaust/combustion chambers, Port matched, 34 DATR carb modified to supply vacuum advance, and cam advanced 1 degree. Now let's see how it runs...
Dave

Engine.jpg

Engine1.jpg

Engine2.jpg

That's purrrty...

Anxious to hear how it runs.
Nice work. (reminds me of last summer....)

Looks really nice and clean Dave

I am in the middle of my first engine project and I need to make my block look that nice. So I have a few questions.

How "clean" do I need to get the block? I know I need to degrease it for sure, but what did the surface look like before you painted it? And what kind of paint did you use on the block?

Can't wait to hear a performance report on your new engine! :)

Engine looks nice. When is the install and start up date?

Bernice

Just thought I'd post a few photos of my engine before it goes back in. It's a standard bore 1500, block decked .040", Euro head shaved .060", Fel Pro head gasket, Euro cam, ported and polished Euro intake/Euro exhaust/combustion chambers, Port matched, 34 DATR carb modified to supply vacuum advance, and cam advanced 1 degree. Now let's see how it runs...
Dave

Guess Jim... just GUESS what Ima gonna say...

DUPLICOLOR... Engine Enamels... 5 bucks... many STOCK and some neat new colors...

I like the all ALUMINUM look for modified engines... "body color" is a nice change also... Dave appears to have wanted to make his look "factory"... with the gray and keeping the yellow timing cover.

Like YOU said, clean and prep the block... actually SOAPY water is a good cleaner... GREEN dishwashing soap... I forget the best kind now (2:51 AM) but they clean up oil spills with it, the birds and stuff...

Then if ya can... with a compressor BLOW out all the passages and the like... and mask off the gasket areas or be prepared to clean them up later. Have fun!

Soapy Water

Tony, you're right on the money with the dishwashing soap, and I prefer Dawn! I use a Dawn diswashing soap mixture for the whole block, including the bores after they've been honed, then rinse everyting down thoroughly and blow off with compressed air. When the engine's been in the car and I wanted to clean it, I've also used mineral spirits on a siphon sprayer to clean but be prepared for a huge mess. Right on again with the Duplicolor, I used a high temp primer, Ford Engine Grey (close to the original Fiat Grey) for the block and Cast Coat Aluminum for any aluminum pieces. (I've previously just bead blaasted the aluminum parts, but they tend to discolor over time and it's much more difficult to restore their finish while in the car.)
Thanks,
Dave

Install Date

Unfortunately, I'm still looking for a Fiat Strada or Ritmo ring and pinion to complete my trans rebuild before I reinstall everything so, if anyone knows where I can find on, let me know. Also, as for the dyno numbers, I only have access to a chassis dynometer, so I'll have to wait until I get it installed before I get the numbers.
Thanks,
Dave

There's always one in the crowd

And that'd be me! :grin:

I use AvGas as a cheap solvent, (doesn't have a strong odor) and a brass wire brush...
I sat the engine over a metal tray to catch all the goop and continuously brushed away
all the dirt and grease down to metal, (or paint) then did a final clean using Acetone.

I then prep'd the engine for paint, did a self-etching primer coat then a finish coat with Imron silver.

I did an all silver (or aluminum) look. I debated doing the marine deck gray on the
lower block as halojm did but I prefer the engine match in color all around. Also, I
believe FIAT painted all their engine blocks marine deck grey because it was an
economical and neutrally accepted color.

Oh, and a little bling doesn't hurt...

myengineprofilesm.jpg

And before the oil pan replacement...
engineexhaustportsm.jpg

shinny plenum

Hey Bob,
The intake plenum looks nice polished, did you apply some kind of a clear coat to keep it shinny for a long time?
Did you get the exhaust manifold Jet Coated or you painted too? Looks nice!
Gilles

a little Tip for all

After you clean your engine and prep it for paint, if there are any brass plugs or other type plugs in the block that you dont want painted, smear a little vasoline or a thin coat of used motor oil in the plug and paint the block. After the paint is dry, wipe out the vasoline/oil and wamO perfection with no over spray etc..

Ha! It was clear coat

using Imron clear. It'll shine forever, regardless! (got that Thomas?) :wink2:

I saw folks at FFO polishing theirs with "Never-Dull" and I thought I'd avoid doing that all the time. :nod:

Thanks Dave and Tony

I will give that advice a try once it warms up a bit outside. I really hate winter. :(

Unfortunately, I'm still looking for a Fiat Strada or Ritmo ring and pinion to complete my trans rebuild before I reinstall everything so, if anyone knows where I can find on, let me know. Also, as for the dyno numbers, I only have access to a chassis dynometer, so I'll have to wait until I get it installed before I get the numbers.
Thanks,
Dave
Ebay UK or Germany...check ebay Canada as well

DAWN is right...

Came to me around 2 PM this afternoon... (What a mind!!!)

Used it to remove tar and sap from my dogs long ago... as my Vet recommended it. Now I see they advertize on TV their concern for the habitat and use it in the wild to clean animal trapped in oil spills.

Sure works great and then ya just RINSE with a hose!

Back