Engine Swap

kmead

Old enough to know better
Well, I finally did it, started my engine swap. It’s something I have been thinking about for a while, I finally got on the stick to do it.

564CD2DA-A7C6-4C18-979C-604DB4D4D6B4.jpeg

Right now it is sitting out front working its way through the 3 hour engine break in period before I can use it in earnest :)

This is the John Deere Snowblower I bought last winter. Over the summer I had fiddled with the engine as it hadn’t run properly, not getting to full rpm. I rebuilt the carb late this fall and discovered the ignition system was the real problem. To fix it requires pulling the engine covers all off, pulling the flywheel and replacing points etc. Several wires are pretty roached as well which would add to the cost.

A Harbor Freight Predator engine is pretty cheap, has electric ignition and a decent reputation. The engine design is basically a rip off of the tried and true Honda small engines. I went with the slightly bigger version at a whopping 224cc. Modifications to the snowblower were to remove two studs and use some longer 5/16th bolts. The chute lever needed to be spaced out to avoid the cylinder head which was done with a turnbuckle and a couple of extra nuts to lock it.

Still a few things to do but if it were to start snowing again it is completely capable. I want to make the key on/of and control panel throttle linkage work as it should but that can be for another day. The integral engine throttle lever and on off switch are perfectly fine for now.

If needed I could always put the old Tecumseh engine back on with new fasteners.

Anyway, this was my current little engine swap project. One of my tractors is likely next and then who knows :)

I have 2 JD 110 (both 1970) that I did the HF 420 swap. Been debating on just getting a new tractor, but it runs great and if the engine dies its less than 400 bucks. Hard to convince myself a new tractor would be worth it.

Odie

Nice work Karl. That is a worthwhile project for sure. There are lots of folks using those HF engines for various projects.

I got my first snow blower about a month ago. We don't get the snow you get in Michigan and I already have a plow for my lawn tractor, so I got a 48V "Snow Joe" off Amazon. I didn't need another engine to take care of and only need this machine to clear walkways and a path down the center of the steep hill to my lower garage where the tractor lives in winter.

20181114_163426.jpg

I have 2 JD 110 (both 1970) that I did the HF 420 swap. Been debating on just getting a new tractor, but it runs great and if the engine dies its less than 400 bucks. Hard to convince myself a new tractor would be worth it.

Odie
You won’t be able to buy a modern tractor of equal quality to those old JD’s. Nearly every tractor avialable is made by MTD to a few levels of quality. Most are trash. You have to go up a few levels to get a ’real’ tractor and you will pay dearly for it.

I bought an MTD wood chipper back in the 90s and have been impressed on how well it has held up. Living in a redwood forest, it gets lots of use many times a year. It came with a 10 hp Tecumseh engine with cast iron sleeves that still runs like it is new.

I bought a Predator generator about 18 months ago that uses the 420 cc engine. It has had a fair amount of use due to public safety power shut offs (They are known as PSPS and occur when wind and other weather conditions make powered lines unsafe in high fire danger areas in CA) and shutoffs due to the enormous amount of tree trimming going on around the power lines for the last several years. So far, it has worked just fine. The only negative is that they specify an oil change interval of 20 hours. Most other generators are in the 50 hour range including my Generac (backup generator to my Predator backup generator). I added an hour meter to the Predator so I could track the use more carefully. You can go through 20 hours pretty quick during an extended outage. I should probably stock up on enough motor oil to be consistent with my gasoline supply.

We are at the tail end of our blizzard so I used the updated blower to shift the 12” of snow we have received over the last few days.

It worked well aside from the carb controls becoming a bit frozen up. I think I need to make a cover to keep snow off the controls and the governor and keep some heat from the exhaust in the area of the carb. A simple sheet metal partial box open to the rear akin to the one on my old blower motor will likely suffice.

Back