engine woes

RMarine

Bad Magic
Alright, I'm asking for help again. I've gotten the wiper/power drain fixed. but, I've started running into another problem.

I'll fire my 78 1300 up, start down the road and she's good for a few, then it's either full open or nothing at all. putting the pedal any where in between and she's spitting and sputtering. I know that it's a clogged injector in the carb because I pull onto the side of the road, pull the primary and secondary injectors, give them the Kiss of death and blow them out, drop them back in and I'm on the road with full power restored again, until a few minutes later when the process starts back over.

the first time it did this a couple of times, I pulled the engine breather tube from the air breather and put it on a seperate breather. this fixed the problem with the clogged injectors, but damn if it didn't start blowing oil all over the engine bay. So, I put it back onto the main breather, and bam, she's spitting and sputtering again and blowing unwanted little trash into my carb.

Anyone have this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Also, I know I need to do a rebuild on the engine, but I can't afford that right now, hell, can't even afford to order some front end parts I need. LOL

thanks Guys!
Rick

Alright, I'm asking for help again. I've gotten the wiper/power drain fixed. but, I've started running into another problem.

I'll fire my 78 1300 up, start down the road and she's good for a few, then it's either full open or nothing at all. putting the pedal any where in between and she's spitting and sputtering. I know that it's a clogged injector in the carb because I pull onto the side of the road, pull the primary and secondary injectors, give them the Kiss of death and blow them out, drop them back in and I'm on the road with full power restored again, until a few minutes later when the process starts back over.

the first time it did this a couple of times, I pulled the engine breather tube from the air breather and put it on a seperate breather. this fixed the problem with the clogged injectors, but damn if it didn't start blowing oil all over the engine bay. So, I put it back onto the main breather, and bam, she's spitting and sputtering again and blowing unwanted little trash into my carb.

Anyone have this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Also, I know I need to do a rebuild on the engine, but I can't afford that right now, hell, can't even afford to order some front end parts I need. LOL

thanks Guys!
Rick

First, I have never seen a carburetor with an injector. I am sure this is a simple case of two of us calling the same part different names. I suspect what you call an injector I call a jet.

If your jets are filling with oil this will cause the driveability problem you describe.

The fix is most likely to rebuild the motor & repair the reason you are pumping oil out of the breather system. If this is more than you can afford, road draft it, buy a few cases of oil, and start saving cash towards your goal.

Yea, it is a Jet, not injector. I definitely want to rebuild the engine, but just can't afford it. Though, I did have a nice dream last night that gave me an idea on how to fix it for now. I'll find out if it works tommorrow when I can work on it, now it's time for work!

hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.

Rick

Couple of things that might help...

there is a wire coil like insert that you put in the end of the crank-case breather tube at the block end. I believe this helps let the gases out but keep the oil down.

You can also get a vented catch-can from Summit for about $40 or so. Route the breather tube to that instead of the carb. Catches the oil and has a filter on it for the gases to escape through.

That wire thingy is the old cyclonic trap

We used to put an extra one in to further slow down the actual oil droplets while still allowing the crankcase to vent.
Dave

thanks for the great information guys! I really do appreciate it. Do either of you know if the wire coil is still something that can be found>?

Like this?

54-1626.jpg

http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/54-1626.html

Nice see they're available

and it probably works better than the 12 guage cleaning brush that I stuck in my previous X. :)

there is a wire coil like insert that you put in the end of the crank-case breather tube at the block end. I believe this helps let the gases out but keep the oil down.

You can also get a vented catch-can from Summit for about $40 or so. Route the breather tube to that instead of the carb. Catches the oil and has a filter on it for the gases to escape through.

The wire coil thing is actually a flame trap. In case of backfire with fuel in the crankcase it will prevent an explosion.
As much as you might hope, it will not stop oil from coming up the breather on a car that is pumping oil out the breather.

The catch can is a good idea, but you will want to put as much breather hose as possible between the cyclonic trap on the motor & the catch can. On my race car it goes up over my head on the roll bar with the highest point at the left upper corner before it goes down to the catch tank. On a street car that does not pump oil you will want the breather hose along the forward firewall of the engine compartment before going back down to the tank.

Rick... HOLD ON A MINUTE...

Your problem is probably from old fuel lines... and the crud in the carb is internal.

Best to pull the carb, diassemble and boil it out.

I'm unsure of your experience... but its not a difficult task. Look in Best Of WIKI for exploded drawings... and the carb acid bath is about 15 - 20 bucks. You can sometimes reuse the gaskets and just need a bit of compressed air to blow out the passages.

Then replace the fuel lines and filter before reinstalling.

You can continue to do what you are doing but it will always let ya down when ya least want it to. Carry some WD40 and a wand to blow out the Metering Rods and Emulsion Tubes and the ports they come out of... just don't mix them up.

Best to do the carb overhaul though... as this crud is usually flaoting around in the passages and jams them up... like I said before.

Total cost of fuel lines, filter and acid, and even a gasket kit would be around 50 bucks...

Thanks for the info. the carb was just completely rebuilt in January, but I went ahead and pulled it apart yesterday and completely went back through it. I also redid all of the fuel lines and installed a clear view filter to see if I can see what's coming through, as it stands, the fuel has been crystal clear so far.

I've also pulled and cleaned the filter housing, as well as sanded and a fresh coat of paint.

Most of what i found was what looked like carbon build up. I checked and cleaned the engine breather tube and it was also full of the carbon build up. I know I need an engine rebuild, so, saving up towards that now. I also have to order some parts for the front end soon, as the bearings are going out and calipers need replaced/rebuilt.

Thanks again everyone for all of the awesome advice. thanks guys!

I hear ya Rick... but wait...

You PROVED that full power was restored when you cleared the rod/tubes in he carb.

You PROVED it...

Looky at Jim W's post above... It worked for him

If you think there is some other trouble... then prove it also.
Do a dry and wet compression test... details on request... and post all the numbers here. Then we can suggest other remedied before you tear into the engine.

Meanwhile, the bearings and brakes are a no brainer, just need to do it.

You're welcome, by the way... and best of luck to ya...

OK, after doing more cleaning and trying different options, I've positively conclueded that is the oil and carbon from the crankcase breather tube. For now, I'm running not connected to the breather with a seperate filter. I haven't had one problem since doing it. Thank you all for the great advice and knowledge.

Of course, here very soon, it wont be a problem. I picked up a 1500 from an 86' model today. :) I'm having the fuel injected vs Carb battle in my head right now, with twin carbs running in 1st. ATM. I also picked up the 5 speed with it, as he was selling it as one unit, but I want to stick with the 4 speed. Anyone need one? LOL

Thanks again guys, once I start the tear down and rebuild, ill be taking tons of pics.

Back