Ex Gas Sensor light on

Todd968

Daily Driver
Can someone please tell me what this means and how to check/ fix the problem? The Ex. Gas Sensor dashboard light came on yesterday as I was pulling into the garage.
The car seems to idle and run normally.

It is an automated notification to replace your O2 sensor. There is a box behind the center switch stack which if you are lithe you can get down there and reach around with a 6p nail to reset the counter. The counter is in a raised cylinder and takes no effort to push in.

You can also remove it if you are so inclined which takes more effort.

No cause for alarm. The O2 sensor is the cheap one wire unit available nearly anywhere.
8CB62866-B7BC-455B-9811-63ADAB49E648.jpeg
8E31C198-1D78-42F7-A13E-B8AA352BAA4D.jpeg
A7D7C778-B326-413C-A879-83A0F326AEE5.jpeg

It looks like this and is mounted to the center stack. The center stack can be removed by using a philips screwdriver. You can also just pull the wiring connector which is red. The part that looks like it is threaded is where the reset button is.

Last edited:
The box Karl is referring to simply turns on the warning light every 30k miles. It does not indicate that the O2 sensor is bad, it just indicates that it has gotten 30k miles older since the last time the light turned on.

In other words, although the counter has counted off, the sensor may still be fine.

They are cheap though. Its getting it off the car after so many years that is the problem.

I was told many years ago by more than one reputable FIAT mechanic that those O2 sensors last many thousands of miles longer than the preset counters give them credit for. I removed my entire counter unit ( gives you more space behind the console for whatever ) and replaced the O2 sensor idiogram in the dash with one for my fog lights. As an interesting foot note, I once owned a 1981 FIAT Strada which developed a noticeable clicking noise every time it was driven. The local dealer thought it was one of the CV joints and replaced it under warranty. It was later determined, since the clicking continued, to be an unusually loud O2 sensor counter.

I finally got around to trying to reset and there isn’t a button to push it. The threaded piece has what looks like a button but it doesn’t press in.

Thank you, Daniel! Your instructions got me on the right path and I was able to reset the switch from the passenger side.

I dropped the metal cap screw into shift link tunnel so that is lost forever but I dont think it is necessary at this point, anyway.

Back