Exhaust choices

bjwhite

True Classic
I have an 82 with the complete stock exhaust system installed. I'd like to get a header and exhaust system (right side exhaust exit.).

Not interested in any quad tip setups...

I seem to see various systems at various prices. And I've searched here for some other threads, but nothing really popped out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Do you need a cat to pass emissions in your area? Or can you run without one? That is one thing to think about. I have two Xs ( 78&85 ) with the older version of the Vick's header installed. They fit well and were designed to mate up to the stock muffler without any provision for a cat. There is an O2 sensor bung. Both cars have 1500FI engines with MWB performance heads.

exhaust_2.JPG mockup_5.JPG

i think the newer version was designed with a Vick's specific muffler in mind, but the is an adapter to mate the collector to the stock exhaust if you want to go that route.

Good question. No, don't need to worry about cats anymore and I'm indifferent to whether the car gets a new one or not.

This is a topic I've been considering for a long time. Basically it seems there are a few approaches possible. I'll post MY OPINIONS (let me repeat...MY OPINIONS) on them:

1) A cast-iron manifold with dual-outlets; either the 1974 US manifold or one of the various Euro models. Some good points to this are: better flow than the stock single-outlet cast-iron manifold, good sound control, it's durable. Some cons are: it's very heavy compared to a tube header, it does not flow quite as well as a properly designed tube-type header, they seem to be getting more difficult (and expensive) to find (particularly here in the US).

2) A tube-type header designed for 'ultimate high-performance' / track use. This is a very generalized statement but these usually have a larger diameter / shorter runner, 4 into 1 design. They tend to offer an increase in power focused on higher RPM's...if you will, more horsepower than torque. If made from stainless steel and well built they can be rather durable. Otherwise the pros and cons are pretty much the opposite as those for the cast-iron manifold.

3) A tube-type header designed for 'drive-ability' / street use. Again a generalized statement, these usually have a smaller diameter / longer runner, 4 into 2 into 1 design. They tend to offer an increase in power that is focused in lower / mid-range RPM's...more torque than horsepower. All the same pro/con comments as number "2" above. Unfortunately I do not know of any such header available today. The old "Ansa" system was a perfect example of this design. Although the Ansa was not made from stainless steel and the muffler portion tended to rust out, the design was ideal for a light-weight street-use 'header' exhaust system. I'd really like to see someone build a copy of this using stainless steel and good build quality.

4) Various tube-type headers that are not well defined in terms of application, performance gains, build quality, etc. For some reason these tend to be very over priced. They also tend to be less accommodating for such things as air conditioning, multiple carburetors, clearance issues.

Notice I am not making recommendations / claims / implications / or reference to any seller or specific product (other than the NLA 'Ansa'). I'm only offering a little summery of MY OPINIONS (have I made that part clear yet?).

I would expect you are severely limited if you need to buy bolt-on header/exhaust combinations. If you have acces to an exhaust shop that can fabricate the simple exhaust system you can be much more picky.

I am happy overall with the Allison's header, so I can talk about that. The issues back when I bought mine were poor ceramic coating (optional) and tubing proximity to water branch pipe (not good) Hopefully those have been addressed in the years since. Material quality is good, and even with surface rust the headers are in fine shape, I think I bought them 6-7 years ago now, maybe more?

IMG_2026.JPG
I run a long tube header of unknown manufacture (came with the car) with a generic Thrush Turbo motor. Exits out the rear grill but easy enough to have it come out the stock opening. Sounds to me like the stock muffler but with attitude.

Thanks Ed, I'll have to have you do driveby in my car so I can hear what it sounds like outside the car..........after I'm done jerking with the DCOEs.

Back