Exhaust manifold gasket RR

m4ff3w

matthew
Exhaust manifold gasket RR
I have an exhaust leak and found I am missing (don't know if it is broken or missing) manifold stud and nut.

What all should I replace with the gasket.

New exhaust and intake gaskets, nuts for all the studs, new studs for exhaust manifold, anything else?

Yes, a couple of things

I did not look to see which year you have but honestly I can't remember the subtle differences. I believe the process is the same for all. To replace the gasket both the intake and exhaust manifolds have to come off.

1) You will want to drain out some of the coolant because there are small ports in the head that transfer coolant to the intake manifold. (There is a petcock valve just below the exhaust manifold about midway up the block. lift the car and put a bucket under the oil pan and driveshaft and unscrew the "T" carefully. If the coolant is clean enough then filter it as you pour it back in and reuse it. I use a paint strainer but you could probably use cheese cloth etc to filter.

2) Remove the nuts and intake manifold first because it will then be much easier to get to the exhaust

3) You will also want to make sure you clean off ALL of the old gasket and yes you will need to replace the missing stud - good luck on this one because I suspect it is broken.

4) If all is clean then replace the gasket, reinstall the exhaust manifold, reinstall the intake and tighten up the nuts. Replace the coolant and fire it up.

Good Luck,

Brian

I just completed RRing a broken exhaust stud. (closes to front of the engine/crank).

Lessons learned:

#1 - drilling and using a ez-out isn't for rusted on studs! It took my three times to learn this one. Each time I'd drill a larger hole and use a bigger ez-out that would just snap. Only way to get the tip of the ez-out is to use a sharp punch and shatter it. Wear safety glasses.

#2 - drills at the big box stores and some of the low end places are junk! You can find quality bits that are short enough to use on a hand drill at your local shops that the various trades frequent. Luckily I have a Wholesale Tool Supply shop locally. It is like Harbor Freight without the junk (www.wttool.com).

#3 - my money, time and effort would of been better spent drilling out the stud and tapping for a heli-coil from the get go. This is what I ended up with in the end. It's a PITA but it'll hold as good as new. The heli-coil kit was about $35 and I needed to buy the 19/64's drill.

Back