Exhaust Mounts

kmead

Old enough to know better
Any suggestions on how to get all the lovely springs onto the new exhaust mounts

The mounts in question (not my pic but same parts)

263A3416-89FA-4716-8337-B7AA1DDE087E.jpeg

As Chris said - but I typically hang the top two springs first, then use something to pull on the bottom spring:

This is a trampoline spring tool, it's just a hook and a T-handle. This could work for the bottom springs.

upload_2019-6-28_8-48-49.png

Any suggestions on how to get all the lovely springs onto the new exhaust mounts

View attachment 23186

Man power Karl. So, nut up buttercup! :cool::D:p

I think I used a needle nose vice grip and pushed the last one on... with Herculean effort. :rolleyes: Like Myron said, I do remember doing the bottom passenger side spring last. Getting the last one on takes time and lots of foul language.

It helps to get a jack under the exhaust and raise the whole system as high as you can get it to shorted the distance between the hangers.

That tool Myron shows is also used to install the springs on old motorcycle exhausts. Believe it or not, Harbor Freight actually sells it (at least they used to, haven't looked in a long time). I've used it for things like the seat springs and others.
41af4Nq76zL._SX425_.jpg

I found that with the set I recently installed, it helped a lot to bend the hangers at the hole (see yellow arrows in pic below) into which the springs hook slightly to the side as to give yourself some clearance to accommodate the spring hooks coming in at an angle. Of course bend back when done.

As for pulling the spring hooks to the hangers, I used vice grips, but it was also helpful to not fully tighten the two mounting capscrews until I got the spring hooks seated in the hangars.
hanger.jpg

View attachment 23186

Easy peasy: just loosen the bolts that secure the hangers to the body. Then attach the springs and retighten the bolts. You can use slightly longer bolts if necessary.

Dom.

Normally what I do, is hang the muffler by the top 2 springs on one side ( diver side) then use the tail pipe to pull the muffler towards the passenger side and set the springs on that side. For the bottom spring which should already be attached to the muffler, pull down on the muffler and push it toward the drivers side to set it. Do the same for the passenger side. I have never used vise grips or a tool of any kind to install the springs that support the muffler.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Thanks everyone. I was under my older X to deal with a variety of issues and saw two of the springs bobbing around (making the rattle noise I have been hating when at a light), the OE brackets are a triffle thin and distorted. Grabbed my new stainless ones and was like, ahhh 85 degrees and the car is hot I will tackle this after I get the down low.

I am now fortified with knowledge and can proceed with abandon :D

Thanks, this was tremendously helpful.

You can take pennies or nickels and place one in between each coil in the spring thus making the spring longer and easier to connect. Then pull out the coins one by one with needle nose pliers.

I modified a flat blade screwdriver, grind a V shape and instead of pulling I push the spring with the modify screwdriver.
The modify screwdriver work easily for me.

mrMVa3N.jpg

Yves

There's an easy way and a hard way. I am with TonyK. Just install the passenger side ones first, then use the tailpipe as handle to lever thing where you need them to just slip the others on the driver's side on. No muss, no fuss. No tool required. I discovered that one day and was slapping my forehead for all those times I fought with the springs.

This is what I need to do as well. Thanks for all the examples of how and knowledge from previous attempts.
While I am under working on the lower engine mount I might as well install the exhaust brackets I purchased too.
I love me them Skyflakes. Great crackers... and you get a blue plastic box with them... come on!!! A box!!! I have about 15 of those boxes scattered all throughout the house and garage.
Mike

Also - if your springs tend to pop off - then here's a fix that I've used and works. I use safety wire to keep the springs tied to the spring mounts. I'll take some photos and post.

Back