Exhaust swap finished!

budgetzagato

Administrator
And I'm very pleased with it. It took a bit of doing... collect parts, modify and customize certain pellet-filled items out of the design, source gaskets, weld stuff, and the last piece of the puzzle was obtained today, a M16x1.5 bolt to plug the EGR port in the exhaust manifold.

Much much quieter, a different, more metallic exhaust note, and I can hear the stereo and other car noises now. I had planned to measure the dB before and after but never did. So, it's a seat of the pants measurement, or should I say ears of the head? Anyway much quieter.

Loud system and new "stock" system with fresh high-temp paint:

IMG_3234.jpg

Installed, can't really tell:

IMG_3237.jpg

Heat shield on manifold:

IMG_3235.jpg

A brief test drive was enjoyable not just for the quieter ride, but also for the sense that I didn't completely choke the engine. I got a kick out of seeing a small cloud of rust and dust when I first punched it.

I don't know how long this muffler will last but if/when I replace it I'll go stock I think. Transforms the car. I can hear the carb, the tires, and hopefully any conversation I wish to have with my passenger. The stock heat shield and cast iron manifold will help with engine bay temps.

Header/sport muffler now for sale, see FSW forum.

Are your ear plugs also going to be on the for sale board?

Congrats on completing that ugly job, working on exhaust systems is never a fun thing.

Great job! Looks very nice underneath the car too. BTW Viva Italia car show is this Saturday at Columbia Winery in Woodinville from 10-3 :)

Shannon

Back