Exhausting Restoration........

jjay911

True Classic
This was my first attempt at restoring exhaust. I did some rust converter, then a rustolem primer then a final coat. I also pollished out the tips and painted a red Stripe. I may change that later to Orange....JUst FYI the Header is for sale I dont think it will fit Fit. Its for the 1800CC twin cam...

This is going on the 74 Dallara bodied X next month...:nuts:

DSC07798.jpg

DSC07799.jpg

DSC07800.jpg

DSC07801.jpg

DSC07802.jpg

DSC07803.jpg

DSC07804.jpg

Hmmmm... Yeah, that would be a good possibility...

... and like all GOOD things, they usually come about from a lot of BAD experiences...

The red stripe will probably turn colors or burn off... but more importantly... the Rustolium primer... if that isn't a 1200 degree paint... will probably blister and burn UNDERNEATH the 1200 degree topcoat.

My best luck was/is to clean the bare metal well, then use a lacquer thinner to thoroughly clean it, and then hit it with the Hot Paint using several light coats. Some paints also speak of a curing process... but all and all... they will need repainting from time to time regardless.

BTW... I find the SILVER colors the hardest to get to adhere for some reason or another... and one time I had huge FLAKES flying off at speed that looked like confetti following the car! HA! I also prefer flat BLACK now... and it makes the tips and red stripes POP over the silver... and I've had much better success with the paint adhering.

You'll probably haveta do this again... but yur young... I thought I noticed a rust hole near the far left exhaust tip also... You might wanna inspect that a bit further and have that welded up if it ain't too far gone first.

Lastly... you might consider using SS bolts, replacing the others after you paint this... as they tend to not rust and give the entire system a much "cleaner look" overall... for only a few bucks more.

A great first attempt... press on!

Ok I think Tony is on to something. I will start over and respray the whole thing.....:headbang:

JJ so are you finally fitting a Fiat TC engine....

on the Dallara bodied X? if not what?...........Albert

The Dallara does not have a 1300, 1500 or a twin cam... It will be a surprise. I will tell you it is a Fiat engine.....:rolleyes:

Will you be providing a step by step log with lot's of pictures?:excited::excited::excited:

Well,you know i have my sources ......

specially located in that high mountain desert area in CA....jajajaja:p
Just a phone call away!!! HA!....but i`m gonna be a nice guy and wait for you to surprise all of us...........Yeah right!!:eek:

Back