Exporting cars from USA

rehan

Daily Driver
Hi everyone

Question for those of you who may have purchased their X1/9 from USA and then exported it to Europe or elsewhere.

I understand that at the time of export, US Customs requires a Certificate of Title bearing the VIN of the car -- against which officials of US Customs check the actual VIN on the car. Question is:

Does the Certificate of Title have to be issued in the name of the overseas buyer?

OR

Is it ok if the Certificate of Title is in the name of the seller and the overseas buyer's name endorsed on it?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rehan

Mine was in the sellers name.

The title won't be changed until the car reaches it's destination. The requirements are different for each jurisdiction with regards to registering an imported car. U.S. customs' only concern is whether the car is stolen or not.

I sold one that went to Portugal recently. The shipping company had me overnight the title, signed by me but not the buyer and later they had an "emergency" request for a bill of sale (which I just whipped up from a Word template). Buyer had signed none of this, he was in Portugal. They did have to verify the VIN at the dock and this was a problem as they broke the hood release (the VIN was only in the engine bay). It was an "experience". Thanks to Dan for saving the day on that one!

I experienced it as an interesting diversion on a nice Saturday morning.:sun: You probably experienced it in terms of cuss words uttered, hair follicles destroyed, and stomach acid by the quart.:wall::mallet::guns::boxing::drink:

Back