Extra cash-Twin DCOE Airbox build...

petex19

True Classic
I've been sourcing an Airbox for my pair of DCOE carbs and as most of the ones I've found come from the UK they are very pricey so I thought that with all the masterminds on XWeb maybe someone would be up for building one and I would pay generously for their time and materials. I'm attaching a couple of photos of an Airbox that Guy Croft built for an X1/9 that looks exactly like what I'm looking for, (alluminum, rivets, one hose entry, simple yet effective)

If anyone is interested then PM me and I can give all the necessary dimensions and info. needed.

'PeteX1/9

How does it fit in your car?

How much of the rear cross member will you have to remove? Do you have pics?

Might be possible to find a part from ITG : http://www.itgairfilters.com/index.asp#
http://www.jonnichols.com/
http://www.coastfab.com/megaflow.html

That might work, these are pretty much "off the shelf" items that can be made to fit many applications.

The welded up hose/duct flange is available from:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ductflanges.php

Silicon duct hose:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/ducting.html

If you can find a local heating/AC contractor, they might be be able to help you make an air box like this as they make stuff similar to this all the time. They have the tools, skill and etc for projects like this. And, since they are local, problems can be easier to resolve.

Bernice

I've been sourcing an Airbox for my pair of DCOE carbs and as most of the ones I've found come from the UK they are very pricey so I thought that with all the masterminds on XWeb maybe someone would be up for building one and I would pay generously for their time and materials. I'm attaching a couple of photos of an Airbox that Guy Croft built for an X1/9 that looks exactly like what I'm looking for, (alluminum, rivets, one hose entry, simple yet effective)

If anyone is interested then PM me and I can give all the necessary dimensions and info. needed.
'PeteX1/9

Pete, I have the same question as DallaraX19-- I'm curious as to what is required to make an airbox such as this physically fit in an X chassis. Can you offer any details? Could you post the drawings here or email them to me?

I do know a couple of very talented sheet metal folks who could easily fabricate something like that. No idea what they'd charge though. It's not that they're particularly expensive, but I do know stuff like that can add up.

Would love to know more.

///Mike

I was just thinking of having the extra long trumpets extend into the trunk and put a nice set of filters on them then cut the trunk out so I get lots of fresh gravel and hot air from under the car....:wacko:

But the Box works.. I guess My question is how do you plan on piping in the cool outside air????:italia:

31eiR5DCnrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

knock yourself out with a skil saw... :D

Airbox

TWM used to sell a nice looking airbox for universal application but clearly meant for at least DCOEs. I have not checked their web page lately but might be worth a peak. I wanted it for my IDFs on the 128 but not enough room under the hood.

carl

Air Box ideas....

Sorry for the delay getting back to everyone as I posted the thread right before heading into work last night. I'll try to answer everyones questions.

I'm not removing any crossmember as the Air Box will bolt or screw up to the back wall of the trunk and not directly to the carbs themselves as the aftermarket AIr boxs do. I've thought about the implications of the Airbox being stationery with the car and not able to move with the vibration of the carbs (maybe they don't even vibrate? I'm always looking at the motor itself when revving my engine in the garage and it does so I assumed the carbs must also) so I was thinking of having the four velocity stack holes slightly larger then the stacks themselves to allow this vibration to occur.

I've looked at the aftermarket suppliers I could find:

TWM Air box:

PiperCross Air box:

airboxb.jpg

pipercross6003.jpg

The links to various parts (hose, flange, etc..) are excellent. I already do have the exact same type of Silicone duct hose connected to the side air ducts on both sides of the car but I'm only going to connect the drivers side hose to the Air box that is also connected to the electric blower motor for that shot of fresh air when sitting in traffic and am going to leave the passenger side duct hose blowing into the engine compartment to try to cool things down in there.

Here's my setup:

I haven't taken a more recent photo but the whole back piece around the velocity stacks and the hoses is solid right now with no screen so once the Air box is fastened to the back wall of the trunk then only air getting into the Airbox will be from the silicone hose coming from outside.

Don't pay any attention to the dimensions of the TWM Airbox as mine would be different. I took some quick measurements and I believe that: 17" long by 7" wide and 6" deep would work great with a single opening for a duct flange on the left side (when standing at rear of car and looking in or opposite the Guy Croft Air box photo I posted in the first thread) like the ones in this link that Bernice posted for a 3" I.D hose.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...uctflanges.php (for some reason copy and pasting this link didn't
work but the exact same link in Bernice's thread works perfectly)

The Velocity stack holes(4) would be 2 1/4" dia. and 3 5/8" o.c

Alluminum would probably be the best material in keeping the heat out and the cool in. If the front side facing the back of the car was removable like the one Guy Croft built or hinged so that I could still let people see the velocity stacks at Car shows that would be great.

I am planning on removing the filter screens to the velocity stacks once the Air box is in place and since the Silicone hose is attached to the side duct which has very small holes a leaf or such wouldn't be able to get in but I could maybe put a filter screen of sort like a patio door screen over the duct flange to act like a filter but not restrict alr flow.

Keep the imaginations going, I love it. I need a box with a big hole and four smaller holes.:excited:

'PeteX1/9

Back