Fabbed Control Arms - Best way to finish?

MikeHynes

True Classic
Interesting and informative discussion on fabbed controls arms by Angelo on this forum, love it!

I've got a question that has relavance to Angelo's discussion. I welcome all informed opinions.

Question:
What's the best way to finish the new fabbed control arms?

Paint:
Easy to apply, can be pretty rugged (expoy), cheap, and easy to re-apply when/if necessary. Also, easy to detect cracks?

Powder Coat:
Easy to apply, very tough, not expensive, not easy to re-apply. But, what about crack detection? Will powder coat mask small cracks???

Other options? Pros and cons

As you might be able to tell, I'm very concerned about crack detection.

*If they are heat treated and while welding, make sure a small internal air/gas relief hole is drilled on a non-stressed area of the tube or the part will deform in the worst way due to expansion of the trapped air/gas.

*Suggest Electroless Nickel finish. Cracks are easier to detect over powder coat.

*DO NOT CHROME PLATE, unless proper post treatment can be done.

*Also, do flood the internal tube with an anti-corrosion coating, POR15 or similar since the tube can easily rust internally and you will not know about this problem until it fails when least expected.

Bernice

Interesting and informative discussion on fabbed controls arms by Angelo on this forum, love it!

I've got a question that has relavance to Angelo's discussion. I welcome all informed opinions.

Question:
What's the best way to finish the new fabbed control arms?

Paint:
Easy to apply, can be pretty rugged (expoy), cheap, and easy to re-apply when/if necessary. Also, easy to detect cracks?

Powder Coat:
Easy to apply, very tough, not expensive, not easy to re-apply. But, what about crack detection? Will powder coat mask small cracks???

Other options? Pros and cons

As you might be able to tell, I'm very concerned about crack detection.

!

Powder coats and most modern Urethane paints are thick and flexible, and would easily hide a crack.

On a budget, I'd use a thin spray of flat silver from a spray can, like Krylon engine paint. It won't hide much of anything, but will kill most of the rust. If there is a crack, the exposed steel will rust and actually stain the silver paint, making it really obvious.

If paint is chosen as a finish..

Consider using Prekote surface treatment during prep for paint. we have used it for a number of painted bits and it has worked well on Aluminum and steel.

http://www.pantheonchemical.com/

From Aircraft Spruce:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?query=prekote&search=1

Bernice

Powder coats and most modern Urethane paints are thick and flexible, and would easily hide a crack.

On a budget, I'd use a thin spray of flat silver from a spray can, like Krylon engine paint. It won't hide much of anything, but will kill most of the rust. If there is a crack, the exposed steel will rust and actually stain the silver paint, making it really obvious.

Back