factory "caulk?"

jvandyke

True Classic
I decided to "rust proof" those pockets at the base of the rear trunk, the ones that rust easily. Mine were so/so. I cleaned prepped and coated with POR-15. There was some caulking that looked like it had body color on it. Did the factory do that or what? I know the car was resprayed (original color) at some point so it's sure possible (likely?) this is PO added but there was also evidence of undercoating or similar goo down there and that doesn't make sense unless they put caulk, sprayed top coat then went back and "sealer spray" on it later. Just curious. I'd post some pics but can't from behind this Fort Knox firewall. What I take for "sealer spray" could easily be grime too.

It is most likely "seam sealer"

Used at the factory for... wel... sealing seams in the body work. Here is an example at the top seam of the front strut tower.

IM002360.jpg

You can see the wavy lines from the sealer under the original paint on my 78.

I agree it's probably seam sealer...

...it's not unusual for some of it to still be pliable, especially if it's thick.

Regards,

FWIW... My '86 has that same "caulk" type stuff around the pocket floor piece... Definitely done at the factory and painted over... doesn't look (or feel) like any traditional seam sealer I'm familiar with. It almost looks like the floor is glued to the lower fender and rear valance with it.

Yup, I am working on that same exact spot on my car now.

Best way I could describe it would be as a cross between the super soft latex expanding foam sealer and the much harder polyisocyanurate expanding foam sealer you'd buy at Lowe's Depot.

Auto Body materials

There are a bunch of different sealer types and applications in car bodies. We work very hard to duplicate the exact look and feel of them when we repair a car so I have some experience with this. There are a few products that will look like this. They are the hood and deck lid "foam" type sealers. They are made to expand between the hood or roof and the reinforcing bows. When dry they are soft and flexible and very paintable. 3M, Fusor , Kent and Wurth all make a product that will work. Expect $40 a tube and you need a special dispensor. Here is a car with a new quarter , rear panel and floor getting textured to match original. Sorry no sample pictures at home of ribbon sealer.
DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

Bob T.

Home Depot

I bought something from Home Depot. I think it was for roofing work. Roofing work is far more demanding than the automotive application as it gets exposed to direct sun. It came in a large caulk tube. It is intended to seal roof flashing and gutters and the like.
It's paintable, and flexible, but fairly hard -somewhat harder than something like tire rubber.
It has a consistency like heavy cake frosting when it comes out, but it's much more workable than silicone rubber; I didn't have any trouble smoothing it in and making it look tidy.

Back