failed light switch

That looks like heat damage to me. Not short-circuit heat, just high current and a bit too high contact resistance.

You can probably harvest a replacement plunger from a window regulator switch, hazard light switch, rear window defogger switch etc. that was of the same style. The Ritmo / Strada used the same style switches. You should be able to find a donor switch for very little money.

I'll try to find the plunger bit. Good to know many switches would have similar parts. I need to add relays to the headlight circuit too. Have more questions on that.....later.

Headlight relays

I think you can still get a kit to do the version that connects to the headlights and battery, that one is universal.

I see you have an '81. I did a no-cut relays setup that fits in the fuse panel area for an '81 and similar. That one is in the best-of section and involves just a pair of relays, some wire, and spade connectors.

SUVlights.com sells relay harnesses, including one for H6024 sealed beam headlights, see here. I don't know how well these fit the X1/9 in terms of cable lengths etc. I'd just as well build a custom set based on bbrowns design. SUVlights also has an assortment of the connectors (including the reverse lamp socket connectors) that you need to build a relay harness. See here.

I have never bought any of SUVLigts' harnesses, so I can't speak for the quality. I have ordered other items from them, though. Never a problem.

Steven's method seems easy and cheap. Can't imagine it getting much simpler than that.
BTW my "fixed" light switch is functional, of course one of the plastic "side springs" broke off when I looked at it sternly so now it's loose in it's spot, but works.
My "fix" was to glob some epoxy on that broken end, let it set up overnight, then use my Dremel to shape it into the chisel tip shape.
Hey, don't laugh it worked. It'll get me by until I get a better fix (replacement if need be).

I bought
4423998 which when referenced at FiatPlus shows for a '79
with 004449945N for an '81.
http://www.fiatplus.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
What's the difference?
I guess I'll find out if the '79 will swap into an '81. Something is different obviously. An '81 is a three way push button style and mine looks like the 4423998 in every way except for the logo, which says "Lights" on the '79 whereas on mine it is a headlight symbol. I assume something is different in the harness/pins?

Jeff... If I were you...

I'd compare the wiring schematics for both years...

I bet ya can get the new switch to work, but not a plug 'n play. I betcha the wiring or color coding is different, possibly the connector also.

Hopefully I AM WRONG... I also betcha Bob Brown knows for sure...

It looks to me like you bought

the proper switch, although Matthew's parts listed it as late model.
(they've been known to do that from time to time)

The switch you have uses the larger spade terminals, as supplied with the early to mid year models.

The late models use a much smaller connector, (actually 2 separate connectors) but uses the same wire colors.

I'm a bit confused with the connector you showed (earlier post) because it only showed 4 connections, and the headlight switch arrangements I've seen use 6 connections.

As others suggested, If you're going to "plug 'n play" this switch, be sure you repair the connection(s) and plug housing.

Also, this would be a good time to add headlight relays to the mix.

3 people have already asked if I have these available. My plan was to build up another batch of 10 sets in the fall.
If there's enough interest NOW, I'll do up another batch early. Let me know... I can have them ready in about 3 weeks.

the proper switch, although Matthew's parts listed it as late model.
(they've been known to do that from time to time)

Oh good. Hopefully it works out.

I'm a bit confused with the connector you showed (earlier post) because it only showed 4 connections, and the headlight switch arrangements I've seen use 6 connections.

This one?
http://gallery.me.com/jvandyke#100322/ignitionharnessside&bgcolor=black
It's from the ignition switch, just in the same picture gallery.
This is the light connector
http://gallery.me.com/jvandyke#100322/SDC10195&bgcolor=black

As others suggested, If you're going to "plug 'n play" this switch, be sure you repair the connection(s) and plug housing.

Will do.

Also, this would be a good time to add headlight relays to the mix.

Bought another relay just a few minutes ago (had one on hand already).
Hoping to do it this way:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/988049453/My+relay+mod,+no+cut+wires
I won't be pulling the load through the fuse box though I have dedicated line coming straight from the battery to the relays. I'm hoping to take the grey/red and drk blue off the fuse box and snake them out of the mess on to the relays, snake two other wires back from the relays to where the grey/red and drk blue used to be, dedicated ground to relays also straight off the battery's negative terminal to chassis mounting point (now a 4Ga).

That'll work -

The biggest difference between mine and Steve's is that I'm running fresh 12Ga wires 'individually' to the headlamps rather than using the X's parallel scheme. (and mine are insertable to the existing setup, so less hassle)

But you should be good with it.
Also, the last photo you posted for the headlight switch looks to be what I expected.

Looks like you're on your way to a job well done. Good luck and let us know the results.

I ran two relays - one for high beam, one for low, and spliced together near where they exit the cargo area...

FiatX19_0031.jpg

FiatX19_0032.jpg

auxillary fuse block
FiatX19_0033.jpg

Dedicated ground from battery not needed

You're only grounding the relay coils. Mine is just grounded via one of the screws under the dash. The ground wire doesn't need to be very heavy either.

Dedicated power from the battery is ok, though also un-needed. Powering from the specified pin on the fuse panel already bypasses most of the wire, connectors, and ignition switch of the original wiring anyway.

I've had my relay mod in two cars now, hooked up directly into the fuse panel only. Headlights work great.

Done.
Seems fine. Quick hit the lights and they sure seemed brighter but will know for sure when it's night on the road. 10Ga straight to the relays, dedicated grounds straight to the relays, 12Ga to fuse box. I soldered all connections. Relays are just sitting in the rat's nest with everything else, I didn't mount them. I feel better knowing the light switch isn't going to be seeing all that current anymore.
headlightrelays.jpg

Looks good overall.....

.... but you really need an inline fuse on that battery feed to relay wire!

If you get a dead short in the relay circuit for any reason, you're running the battery directly to ground - great way to start an electrical fire!

Back