False floor/bottom in rear trunk

I wouldnt use rock wool since it can hold tremendeus of water (you use it in hydroponic growing as well, just because it adsorbs water)
Some heat resistant closed cell insulation is the best I think.
I beg to differ, when offered as insulation it doesn’t hold water as it is hydrophobic. In this application the binder ensures it won’t absorb and hold water.

The underside would be better served by one of the newer insulation packages developed for modern cars versus any fibrous insulation in my mind.

The early cars have issues too. I've done 3 floors in California cars (all '74s). None showed issues with water intrusion and they were relatively rust free in all the other usual areas including the corner pockets. I think the heat cycling and humidity levels have something to do with it on some cars. My '75 came out of a very wet environment and was stored outdoors for several years. The lower floor was very clean and the insulation had no telltale signs of being wet at some point, but you can see where the heat has blistered the finish. Luckily caught in time, it would have progressed into rot at some point. I have never replaced the insulation with anything other than high temp tunnel shield on the bottom of the drop in tray, and the same underneath over the top of the exhaust assembly.

View attachment 54755

Have you a source for plain sheets of this? I've been cutting up Volvo/Ford panels to make mine 😆

index.php

Great stuff, but pricey unfortunately.
Agreed, there are several versions of that type product but every source that I've found is rather pricey for it. And the better grade ones are extremely costly. I'd love to find a affordable one in decent sized sheets to make custom insulation panels.

Agreed, there are several versions of that type product but every source that I've found is rather pricey for it. And the better grade ones are extremely costly. I'd love to find a affordable one in decent sized sheets to make custom insulation panels.
There was an ebay seller out of Detroit that must have bought out a defunct supplier's inventory of very similar material a few years back. I used to buy three 4'x4' sheets for about $80 and free shipping. Sadly, his supply must have dried up as I've not been able to find any of his listings anymore. Should have stocked up when I could, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Wats your thought about this type, commonly used in enginebays on boats.

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 79
Back