Fast Idle electrovalve/auxillary Air valve help

Ben Louis

True Classic
Hey X ers!
Need some help: Im trying to connect my fast idle electrovalve and the Auxillary air valve and all the vacuum hoses and Ts that go with it to the air snokel and etc. This WHOLE system was ripped out of my car so I have no referance for any of it. I cant find any where someone has leaned over to the back of the engine bay and snapped a pic.
Haynes...nothing
FI manual...nothing
Wiring diag... u get it already

Got the AuxAir valve and FIE valve mounted (and wired). But I cant seem to find the logical routing of the small 1/4 vacuum lines and numerous Ts. There seem to be 3(?) Ts. 2 from intake 1 from crank breather? Am I far off?

Please help thanks!

Also has anyone fitted a PCV between the Breather and intake before?

I can take some pics when I get home tonight. I did find this in the manual which helps some.

IMG_1469.PNG

So your question about the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation), I don't know of anyone adding one and am not clear as to why you would add one. There is already the existing system in place that vents the crankcase into the intake with a oil vapor separator.

IMG_8212.JPG

IMG_8202.JPG
IMG_8203.JPG
IMG_8204.JPG
IMG_8205.JPG
IMG_8206.JPG
IMG_8207.JPG
IMG_8208.JPG
IMG_8209.JPG
IMG_8210.JPG
IMG_8211.JPG
OK, I lied I went out and took some pics. I hope they help.

I may be home late from work (I need to help a friend with his 124 Spider dual point distributor) so if you need other details I can send them later. Good luck.

Karl

As Karl pointed out, these cars have a flame trap/ spark arrester / PCV system in place. This is what is inside the breather hose:

X19_0881.jpg

It should be removed and checked, as the mesh will become coated with oil coking over the years, which will create a restriction to the vapor flow. just yank it out with a pair of needle nose pliers & flush it with your favorite chemical cleaner. Same for the plastic T nipple above it, it has a step/restriction that can clog along with the vacuum nipple.

X19_0883.jpg

You did not mention what year your X is nor what market it was built for. I assume from the reference to an Aux Air Valve that you have a fuel injected engine. Does the specific arrangement/configuration and routing of all this differ between EFI years or between intended markets?
I know it's not the same but just for illustration purposes, the '79 I had was originally a "Calif smog" model and therefore somewhat unique in that it was a carb'ed engine, with cat and AIR pump and EGR and a ton of other extra crap and miles more vac lines than the non-Calif or non '79 cars.
So I'm just wondering if his specific year model and origin of purchase may have a different answer to the question? I suspect not but I'm trying to avoid unnecessary confusion for him.

You did not mention what year your X is nor what market it was built for. I assume from the reference to an Aux Air Valve that you have a fuel injected engine. Does the specific arrangement/configuration and routing of all this differ between EFI years or between intended markets?
I know it's not the same but just for illustration purposes, the '79 I had was originally a "Calif smog" model and therefore somewhat unique in that it was a carb'ed engine, with cat and AIR pump and EGR and a ton of other extra crap and miles more vac lines than the non-Calif or non '79 cars.
So I'm just wondering if his specific year model and origin of purchase may have a different answer to the question? I suspect not but I'm trying to avoid unnecessary confusion for him.

It's down there in his signature, 1985 1500 FI, thus why I ran out and took a pic of my '87 which should be very close to being exactly the same. And although he is from a foreign land, California, my car is a 50 state car so it should be the same.

In this case anyway

Ha, I actually have all signatures turned off to help abbreviate the lengths of threads when viewing...so I can't see that. My fault. Although some signatures may not be up to date.

Invaluable info Karl! Thanks Guys

"someone in a foreign land..CA" I like this. Sometimes I feel like I'm in lala land

Yes this is why I care about possibly installing a modern PCV valve because I'm up against CA emissions which are very strict. Somewhat in reference to a previous reply it is my understanding that the later FI models had MUUUCCH less emisions equipment. I assume that once they worked the FI bugs they realized how efficient an FI system can be and simply didn't need a lot of that anymore, just a guess .
I've already made a complete exhaust w/ CAT (maybe pics soon...I'm quite proud) as well as verified my AFM settings via a good 02 sensor. Once I get this..I'm going to call it AuxAirelectrovalve...situation handled I have new injectors and lot to install.

Thanks everyone I've spread some of my 'resto' questions through various posts and you guys are helping me check things off in a big way!

* Thanks Joe for the info about pulling the mesh

I just thought of something as I was saving these pics. Has anyone here put together any sort of photo repository? No categories, or specific end goals. Just a collection of reference photos with only Year/model text info for various components or locations.

Here's my exhaust. I made this up for emissions, but it worked out so well I might keep it. However...I also have SS 4-1 headers

Got the system all set up today, car is much happier on startup and idles nicer too. So I geeked out and over-layed a drawing of the Aux Air valve which is normally hidden behind the engine so that anyone else in this situation can more easily see the mounting and how all the lines and T's run. Plus some other pics for reference.
X1-9 AuxAir5.jpg

***EDIT in the above picture I put the 'Front' arrow pointing the wrong way it should be facing up.

Attachments

• IMG_6759.JPG
    IMG_6759.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6743.JPG
    IMG_6743.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Nice. You will want to get a replacement boot on the injection multi wire connector to your AFM. Water can get in the rest of the harness by running down the interior of the loom possibly shorting the computer and cause problems in the AFM. Autoricambi sells new ones, Mid West Bayless sells used ones but either way your really should add one.

Looks great! I'm curious - the hose you used looks like (visible texture-wise) regular heater type hose? If you don't use the hose rated for fuel/oil (EPDM, I think) it will break down over time, ususally right where it's clamped to the air valve will be the first to crack & leak.

Some is but only the larger diameter. Its actually a mix of Oem, nitrile type, and heater. I made a judgment based on the materials I was working with where I could fudge a little. Also keep in mind this was a test mock up so there will be more tinkering and I may order Oldstock stuff to replace certain parts as $ allow.

Karl I think I might try and make a jacket for the AFM connector myself. Well see how that works but a good point to bring up

Back