• Depends on application?

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Dont care its not my car?

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jjay911

True Classic
OK so where would you put it? I think it looks better in the middle but the purpose of the scoop was to feed air into the Oil cooler originally. And the Oil cooler is on the drivers side. The other challenge is the scoop in the middle makes it harder to see out the back of the car. Thoughts? Opinions?

JJ

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01039.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01035.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

Welp...

I designed one many moons ago and whilst I was at it... I decided to place it BEHIND the driver. Especially for street use... allows you to see in that RR corner of the car a bit better... and...

Aesthetically speaking, in my opinion... with a RIGHT SIDE exiting exhaust... gives the car a LOOK of balance as well as functionality.

BTW... I never heard this thing about the oil cooler... I would go along with that being a SECONDARY function of the snorkel, but have trouble with that being the ONLY function.

Last edited:
JJ's FAZA scoop

Hey JJ,
I really like the FAZA / Abarth style scoops. Where did you find yours? I don't believe anyone is currently making them??
Regarding the placement, I'd disregard the original placement and put it where it suits you the best...which might be to the left - behind the driver.
Please let me know if you have a source for one. Thanks.

Thanks keep it coming as far as finding a snorkel they are unobtanium and hard to reproduce hence why no one is doing it if I find one will let you know

Last edited:
I would say it looks cool no matter where you put it. I had planned to put mine in the middle had I kept it.

I recall from Al's catalog he suggested to have it above oil cooler like you said JJ so in your case perhaps it works better on the drivers side. Regardless, it is going to bring a LOT more air into the engine bay regardless so whatever makes your boat float. Can't wait to see it all attached and painted, etc.

Do you have the little lightening bolt Abarth emblem?

Do you have the little lightening bolt Abarth emblem?

I do not. I dont remember what it looks like.. I wonder who here might have one:grin: I was also thinking of painting the scoop with the car but leaving the Faza lettering black or painting the lettering black...

I'd say go with the left.

Because of how the base puts the actual snorkel off centre, I think they look lopsided when they are used in the centre of the engine lid despite how they were done on the race cars. Putting it off to the left doesn't look lopsided, it looks like it was where it was designed to go.

I'd say go with the left.

Because of how the base puts the actual snorkel off centre, I think they look lopsided when they are used in the centre of the engine lid despite how they were done on the race cars. Putting it off to the left doesn't look lopsided, it looks like it was where it was designed to go.

I almost wish I had two of them with the mold opposite so I could put one on both sides....

This one is likely too big but if I recall the vendor has other sizes.
Take a look:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250855732285?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

And they are very well priced. Like I mentioned in another thread, the Abarth badges are suddenly all over eBay for low $$, since the new Abarth re-release.
this looks similar but not exact. I think this original looks a bit older and not so updated. Here is another picture.

http://gallery.italiancarclub.com/47422-2/DSCN0789.jpg

Middle, don't need to know whats behind you because you've passed them anyways. In the middle you're blind spot is centred but u can still see either side quite clearly. Put to the left, you're blind spot is increased to that side and that will be the side you'll change lanes into most often I'd think.
And if it's the police, their lights will be very bright and you'll notice them right away.

W

Last edited:
Found this SNORKEL...

in a group of old photos I had from 2003...

I could not find the mock-up fotos I had of my prototype but what I did was mount the snorkel UNDER the engine cover with ONE slat (or rib, or bar) of the stock engine cover removed... so that the snorkel stayed in place and the lid could be still be opened.

My idea was to mount it behind the driver with enough clearance over the top so it also could be removed without interfering, as well as a "fishmouth" design to capture more air. It would have to be made in TWO pieces with the base mounted under the lid, and then the top portion would be slid through the new larger slot on the lid and bolted to the base below.

Actually... the air traveling over the top gets pushed up and away from the car quite a bit and at speed, there isn't much air passing directly above the Targa bar. Prove this for yourself by driving with the top off and sticking your hand up and around the area. The snorkel really needs to be higher.

A better design found on some MR2's and Fiero's was to have the snorkel peak around the "B" pillar where the air is more abundant and less disturbed.

Here are some ideas that support what I just wrote:

Last edited:
Snorkel

I have seen the MR-2 snorkel and I like it much more that the FAZA one. The MR-2 snorkel to me looks a little more integrated to the car.

I neighbor down the street has the MR-2 snorkel on his MR-2.

Too bad no one makes them for the X1/9.

Snorkel styles

Wow, I never realized how many different styles of snorkel's existed. Even just the ones designed for the X1/9 as shown in this thread have several variations; different base 'hump' shapes, placements of the upright portion vs the base, angle and shape of the upright, etc. And then there are all of those other styles for other cars.
Has anyone considered fitting something that is currently available (like from a different car) to the X1/9?

Back