FB - 1977 Lancia Beta - Belleville, Illinois

Oooooh, HPE! The Thinking Man's Shooting Brake.

Illinois!
One wonders at the majestic ferrous stalagmites and stalactites an under-carriage pic would reveal.

This is a Lancia Beta? I guess it is a coupe? I obviously don't know Lancias very well. :confused:

View attachment 78717
Sam in the American Lancia Club persuaded me to rescue a 1975 Beta Coupe in Reno. The purchase price was $1. It was a great handling car after I rebuilt the struts and added 185/65HR14 Pirelli P6.
This is the station wagon hatchback version (HPE).This one does not have rust where it usually happens at the base of the windshield. The color is dark brown, not black. It has the factory AC. These came with a 1.8 Lancia version of the Fiat DOHC. Cruises at 80-85 mph in 5th.

What a coincidence, Erwin, it's also the clone of my previous Beta HPE! What a small world.
And O God, the rust, the rust!

wow, out of the blue! I love that car. I don't know if it's my Beta fascination or that combined with long roof cars, but if about 1700 things were just a bit different in life at the moment, I'd be making arrangements to bring that thing home. That is said despite every time I've expressed my love for HPEs I've had someone tell me in some level of detail why they are not particularly fun to drive in the same way a well sorted Beta should be. oh well. Hope it gets back indoors & running before it rusts away. $3500 seems a bold ask, but via communities like this it will get exposed to all the eccentrics who want one.

I used to have a white 1979 HPE automatic, had to converted it to 5 speed. I do have a good used lancia automatic in storage. Dont know why. But I would really love to have a 79- HPE again... hint hint for anyone who might have one

I have always liked the HPE, a lot more than the Coupe and I love coupes in general. I have a hard time believing there would be much difference in the handling of an HPE and a Coupe.

I used to have a white 1979 HPE automatic, had to converted it to 5 speed. I do have a good used lancia automatic in storage. Dont know why. But I would really love to have a 79- HPE again... hint hint for anyone who might have one
Would that auto trans fit in a Scorpion? - asking for a friend...

It would bolt up. As far as physically fitting the chassis, I am not sure. But it fits in a beta, so I would imagine it would be close if not perfect fit.

Mine is burgundy. It was originally a automatic but was converted many years ago to a 5 speed. Your cars are both 1979’s? From what I have heard only about 140 were imported in 1979.
To the exact number there were 154 imported in North America including Canada so not every dealership got one. Today, there maybe about a dozen left that survived.

I would in interested in parts for the Zagato and 79 HPE

wow, out of the blue! I love that car. I don't know if it's my Beta fascination or that combined with long roof cars, but if about 1700 things were just a bit different in life at the moment, I'd be making arrangements to bring that thing home. That is said despite every time I've expressed my love for HPEs I've had someone tell me in some level of detail why they are not particularly fun to drive in the same way a well sorted Beta should be. oh well. Hope it gets back indoors & running before it rusts away. $3500 seems a bold ask, but via communities like this it will get exposed to all the eccentrics who want one.
Do you have any pics if it still available?

To the exact number there were 154 imported in North America including Canada so not every dealership got one. Today, there maybe about a dozen left that survived.
Thank you. Very low number still exist for sure even if you counted up all remaining HPE’s of any year. Anyone else here have a HPE? I have to admit I sent a rusty 76-78 HPE to the crusher many years ago.

When I found my Scorpion up in Grass Valley there were a few beta coupes and an HPE. I had never seen one but it was very striking. Wish I'd have snagged it as well. Probably went to the crusher...

Back