Federal vs Achilles 185/60 r13 Tire Comparison

I run Federal 185/60/r13 on the front. The car runs smooth and great grip. I only have 450 miles on the restoration and am very pleased with them. Plus the aggressive tread pattern looks great. Wish I had put Federal 205/60/r13's in the back too, as is they are Prometer, smooth ride but the tread pattern looks like a family sedan. Cheers,

Tread patterns... the first thing I look for on a...

moving car...

HAHAHA!

I hadta go with two different tires a while back to get the 205's for the rear and some 175's up front. The 175's not only had a great looking tread pattern but also had sidewalls that extended a bit over a 1/4" wider than the rim width.

They look GREAT and perform well also but ya gotta be parked to reap the full aesthetic benefits.

The 205's in the rear are from Indonesia and are called Pro-Meters... and like you said... not so great looking when stopped from the rear. But... they sure are a nice looking WIDE rear end at speed, relative to stock, IMHO.

Hahaha, so true Tony. Our vanity for these cars know no bounds. Lol.
What tires and sizes are you running now? Cheers,

Federal Formosa FD1's

I've had a set in waiting ever since I got the car, but running some used, Falken Zies 912's, off my Geo Metro, at the moment. Excellent on BOTH. Probably one of the last sets available in 185/60. NEXEN 185/60's on the Geo, now.

If I can ever get it to finish a tank of gas without another problem showing up, I'm putting the NEW Feds on.

I'll let everyone know how that goes. Might not be much help, as I haven't seen any of them for awhile, either.

I recently purchased a 1986 Bertone X1/9 and the previous owner just installed a set of new Federal SS 595 tires on the car. I haven't put too many miles on the car yet, but so far the tires are very good. I had the car up to 100 MPH and even at that speed the tires were running true without any vibrations or other issues at all. I only hope that the set I have on this car continue to perform as good as they do now. I also really like the look of the tread profile on these tires.

Just thought I would throw in my experience with the Federals since they seem to have gotten a bad rap by most people commenting so far. I hope that other people will comment on their experience with these Federal tires. Seems like two people so far have had good luck with them. Anybody else have a good experience with these Federal tires?

I ran Federal SS657 (or maybe it was the Formoza) in a 185/60-13 for years. Never had a vibration problem at all. I looked for the SS595 but they were never available. My only complaint is when the tires got hot, they got a bit greasy feeling. I bought my first set in 2003 and my last set in about 2010 or so.

I needed tires and couldn't find in 185/60-13 (and Toyo was out of my preferred price range for a regular street tire) last summer so I picked up a set of General Altimax RT43's in a 175/70-13.

They've been great. I took them to a driver's school and no matter how much I abused them, they gripped and gripped. The larger size makes my speedometer error a little less and even with cut springs, I think it fills up the wheel arch very nicely.

As the commercial used to go...."Sooner or later, you'll own Generals..."

Larry
'79 X1/9
Santa Clara

Back