Feedback on a Delta A-411 cam?

///Mike

'76 & '85
Anybody running this cam profile, especially in an FI engine? If so, what are your general engine specs and thoughts regarding the cam?

TIA,

///Mike

I will let you know in a few months.

Hi ///Mike

Matt is building me a 1500 FI head with this Delta cam for my 78, but the project is progressing slowly. Did I mention I am the laziest man in the world? :)

Matt has this statement in the ad page:
Midwest then fits a fresh Delta A-411 cam with 35/75 timing, and higher 10.2mm lift, fully set-up and shimmed to spec. Note, that a 35/75 cam is about the highest duration cam recommended to work well with a stock Bosch ECU. Higher-duration camshafts will require an aftermarket EFI controller.

Full page link.

Did I mention I am the laziest man in the world? :)

Hmmm... I though I was. ;-)

Yeah, I ran across that cam on the Midwest site and got to wondering how well they work in a high compression 1500 with FI. I have a Euro 1500 cam that I was intending to use but am not sure of the profile and am too lazy (ahem) to figure it out. Thought the A-411 might be a better/easier alternative. Hurry up and stick that engine in the car so you can tell me. I'll be sitting in the La-Z-Boy, waiting...

///Mike

0-60

Quantitative data on A-411.

When combined with a milled flat 1500 head, and good valve job, ported and polished, we have had two customer cars that its' dropped 0-60 from 16 seconds to 11 seconds. One was an immaculately maintained 116K mile car (looked like new) which had full AC system and also got a performance exhaust. The second car had 32K miles. (almost was new) also had AC but still left full stock exhaust in place (no flywheel mods on either one). We've sold a lot of these cams and head packages, these are the two most rigorously "tested" examples we've done here at the shop.

It won't help on bottom end (headers and lightened flywheel will though). It really starts working around 3K, and pulls strong up to 6500.

-Matt

Thanks Matt! That was exactly the info I was looking for. Right down to the part about the heavy car, since that's exactly what I have. Were those cars injected? Were an mods made to the FI system to support the additional power and/or more aggressive cam?

How much does the cam box need to be shaved for this cam? Or, to put it another way, if enough material is removed from the block and the head to get the piston to within 1mm of the head at TDC, will there be any problem tensioning the timing belt if the cam box is shaved enough to use thin shims with this cam?

Thanks,

///Mike

Last edited:
Back