FFO Caravan style cruise.

Eastep

True Classic
I'm looking to plan a caravan style cruise on July 20 beginning in Harrisburg PA at Italian Park located just off 81 on North 3rd street. The meeting time will be 8am and we will stay until as late as 9am if you are running a little late but PLEASE CALL and let us know that you are in fact coming. My number is (252) 649-8717. Once everyone has arrived we will depart promptly there after. For our journey we will be using Hwy 81 South picking up additional cars/drivers at predetermined state rest areas on hwy 81 at/near approximate timed intervals. Communication is going to be key to this cruises success and as such, I have up to four 2 way radios to be distributed amongst the pack to stay in touch as well as most of us have our cells on us at all time. I fully understand that traffic, construction and cities are nightmares for this type of driving but not to worry If you get lost, pulled over, or left behind don't worry just radio or call one of us and we will either pull over down the road or more likely slow down until you've caught back up. I will be posting a list/locations of the rest areas and approximate times that will be our rendezvous/ pick up points along the way. For those that are curious it will be an 11 hr drive from Harrisburg to Knoxville TN where we will be staying for the evening at a hotel (yet to be determined) and meeting up with Brett M for a possible cookout/ fun nite. With traffic and the occasional wrong turn I expect us to make it to Knoxville in around 12-12.5 hrs with an E.T.A of around 10:30 pm. After a brief nights sleep and continental breakfast of champions, we will depart the hotel with Brett leading the way for a 45 minute drive through the beautiful mountains bordering Tennessee and North Carolina for a little play time on the infamous Hwy 129 also known as The Tail of The dragon :headbang: After we've had our fun or until time demands (more likely) we will all continue or trek to Nashville where we will arrive at our final destination for FFO 2011!!! For all parties interested in sharing in this journey please respond with a simple " +1" so we can begin to tally up and begin getting the ball rolling for reservations etc.. I would say its fair to assume that a deposit will be required at some point to secure the hotel room for the night and everyone will be updated as soon as a few details are ironed out. Thanks for reading and please feel free to post this on other Fiat sites you may be part of as all are welcome and makes for more fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are are the state rest areas along Hwy 81 South that will serve as both a little break for our weary backs and as our scheduled Pick-up/Rendezvous points for those that wish to join in the cruise. All pick up locations are within easy access to other major Hwy s such as Hwy 64 & 77 to aid in travel time and minimize "back-tracking" as much as possible. There will be three stops in VA and two in TN.

Restarealedgend.png

VA pick up points
VArestareas.png

TN pick up points
TennesseeRestareas-1.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have made up a general itinerary for the trip. Upon review I noticed I never marked the welcome center in Bristol as a stop. It is. Ive already corrected this here and on every other site Ive posted on. Below is the itinerary along with approx mileage between locations.

Harrisburg PA (Start Point)
Arrive: 7:30-8:00 am
Leave: 8:30-9:00 am :arrow: 120 miles

Winchester VA (First Stop)
Arrive: 10:45-11:00 am
Depart: 11:15-11:25 am :arrow: 80 miles

Mount Sidney VA (Second Stop)
Arrive: 12:30-12:40 pm
*Lunch*
Depart: 1:00-1:15 pm :arrow: 160 miles

Radford VA (Third Stop)
Arrive: 3:45-3:55 pm
Depart: 4:05-4:10 pm :arrow: 130 miles

Bristol TN (Fourth Stop)
Arrive: 6:05-6:15 pm
Depart: 6:25-6:30 pm :arrow: 45 miles

Baileyton TN (Last Stop)
Arrive: 7:20-7:25 pm
Depart 7:30-7:35 pm :arrow: 75 miles

Knoxville TN (Stop for the night & possible cookout at Bretts)
Arrive: 8:50-9:00 pm
Depart: 7:30-8:00 am :arrow: 50 miles

Deals Gap (aka The Tail of The Dragon)
Arrive: 9:00-9:15 am
Depart: .. do we really have to leave? :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I'd make a check list of sorts of things it'd be a good idea to bring along on the trip. Most of these items can fit in a small duffel bag or backpack and take up very little room. These are not in any order so bare with me.

Tool pouch: with basic hand tools (most of us have our regularly used tools for wrenching on our Fiats)

Duct tape & zip ties: Never leave home without em!

Spare radiator cap: JIC

Spare belts/hoses: If you got em, bring em!

Atlas/Map

Food & Drinks:
Lunch will only be as good as you bring it ;)

Water/Coolant: To save space Id suggest bringing water or coolant in a 1-2l bottle

2 way radio:
I have 4 to be used but the more the merrier

Tire Guage

Spare Tire: Make sure its inflated :doh:

Fuse's & Bulbs: Lets face it these things go out pretty often

First Aid Kit: At least Band-aids and Advil.
Don't forget any medications you have to take, and please inform me the day of the cruise if there are any medical conditions that might affect you during the drive.

Fire extinguisher: Not a "must", but a damn good Idea

Jumper cables

Sunscreen:
11hrs in July with the top off, it just makes sense to wear it

license/Registration & Proof of Insurance : seems common sense to keep it in the car, but as they say common sense isn't so common :doh:
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, and each person has their own needs of things to bring so thin is just to help out.

Last edited:
From Columbus, Ohio...

...We already have a few people wanting to caravan from Mdwest-Bayless in Columbus, Ohio...Would be cool if we could meet up along the way.

Agreed Thomas. I'll check the atlas and we can figure out something. BTW I'm posting this thread on the new 500 site and a couple others. This should be alotta fun.

Sounds like a blast.I have to be in Nashville early,to set up, or I would absolutely join you guys.This is shaping up to be a great FFO.

+1, would probably join up along 81 south of Hagerstown. There's a rest area near Martinsburg, WV for those merging in from I-70. Ohio traffic might merge in from I-77 in southwest VA.

+1, would probably join up along 81 south of Hagerstown. There's a rest area near Martinsburg, WV for those merging in from I-70. Ohio traffic might merge in from I-77 in southwest VA.

That'd be great! Once you get onto 81 from 70 near martinsburg its a very short drive to exit/mm 320 for our first pickup spot near Winchester.

I'll be there at the starting point in Harrisburg

Hopefully, someone is bringing along a support vehicle I can transfer my autox wheels and tires to for the journey down and back. (otherwise it will be a little cramped in the cockpit!)
Dave

Support vehicle? We don't need no stinking support vehicle :pigsfly: No one has mentioned volunteering so :huh: As for autoX wheels, I figured In just set mine on Brookes lap but then she showed me the error in my ways ..before anyone makes any comments, shes stronger then she looks :blackeye:

I wish I could bring my race car but that's not going to happen. Would a Little green miata be welcome on this journey?:tomato:

Oh actually I am not sure I can swing that. I didn't realize this started on a Wednesday. I need to check the work schedule.

I will join up in St Louis

You guys are going to drive way over here so I can join in the fun.... right?? :)

Chris and I will be having our own two car caravan to FFO is everything goes as planned.

Travel plans...

Remember, if the group makes it to Knoxville early enough, I am planning to host a cook-out at my house in Knoxville. Anyone is welcome to come.

Just a reminder this cruise is still on schedule and please arrive as early as possible so we can leave as soon as possible. Also if you are planning to attend please notify me ASAP so I can begin making possible hotel reservations. Thanks

Cook out...

Hey guys, do we know the ETA for the Knoxville area on Wed? If folks arrive early enough, it would be great to get together. I was going to do a cook-out but if folks arrive really late, it might be better to simply meet at a restaurant somewhere. I can make the arrangements for a good place.

To be honest Brett, the cruise is looking kinda shaky as not many have replied to any of my postings on numerous sites. That and the fact I have been unable to secure some kind of steady employment has put FFO in serious jeopardy for me . I will know more in a couple weeks, but as it looks today, things aren't good for me to the point that I even have a FS post typed up for my car, just holding off on pulling the trigger :blackeye:

Someone please buy my DCNF manifolds so I can go to FFO without shucking my everyday obligations to do so

Back